Instructor Interview - Ryan Hood

ren
ren
08/11/2008 8:25 am
We have many instructors here at Guitar Tricks, and in an effort to better acquaint you all with them, we'll be bringing you interviews with the people themselves.

This Month, Mr. Ryan Hood... So, tell us Ryan...

How long have you been an instructor at Guitartricks?

Since 2000 but I only published eight or nine lessons from 2000-2007.

At what age did you start playing guitar?

I started playing electric guitar at age 13 and classical 8 months later

Did you have lessons, or are you self-taught?

I started taking lessons from the very beginning and still take lessons to this very day.

Do you play any other instruments, besides guitar?

I played piano when I was 10 or so but was terrible and quit relatively quickly.

What was your first guitar?

An Ibanez Stagestar. I got the guitar, amp, cable, and instruction video for $150. Obviously the quality was low but it did the job for me then.

What sort of rig do you currently use?

Since I only play classical guitar now, I will have to modify this question a bit. I play a spruce top Steve Connor guitar with Madagascar Rosewood back and sides.

What's your dream rig?

I have always loved the Ruck guitars as well as many of the Thomas Humphrey Milleniums.

Who was your biggest influence, both musically and in general?

Probably my current teacher, Denis Azabagic. No matter how high my standards are, he never seizes to amaze me with his incredible playing as well as extraordinary teaching.

What musician do you most admire and why?

This question is tough… but I would have to say Franz Liszt because of his unbelievable abilities and his rock star lifestyle in the nineteenth century. He is truly an intriguing character and womanizer.

What is the best guitar playing lesson you ever learned?

Again, a difficult question. I would say it was when I learned Asturias, the first monumental classical piece I learned.

How has your taste in music changed over the time you've been playing, if it has changed at all?

I used to hate 20th century classical music because of all the harsh dissonances but now it is my favorite genre to play. Also, I preferred listening to rock music in my teenage years and now I tend to listen to more complicated forms: classical and jazz.

What was the first song you learned to play all the way through?
Believe it or not, it was Fade to Black by Metallica.

What's the most challenging piece of music for you to play currently?
Finally an easy question. This is undoubtedly the Elogio de la Guitarra by Joaquin Rodrigo.

Thanks Ryan... You can check out Ryan's instructor profile and lessons here.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.