Marshall mg100 dfx amp head

ddaloia
ddaloia
08/10/2008 7:07 pm
hey folks. I am in the market for a new amp head (i currently own a Laney 100 watt which I am not too fond of) and I was looking at the Marshall mg100 dfx. I don't have a ton of money too spend (wife will kill me) and for $250 it sounds like I won't find much else.

Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Good or bad opinions?

I have always liked the marshall sound, mostly the heavy crunch/overdrive. Does this model hold up to the true marshall sound? What comes to mind is Weezer's Blue album.

I will be using a Epiphone Les Paul and a peavy 4x12" speaker cab. Will the amp drive my cab? The stack seems to come with a similar Marshall 4x12" cab.

Any advice is always appreciated!!! Thanks!!!
jdr94
jdr94
08/11/2008 2:07 am
Originally Posted by: ddaloiaI was looking at the Marshall mg100 dfx. I don't have a ton of money too spend (wife will kill me) and for $250 it sounds like I won't find much else.

Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Good or bad opinions?

well i've owned three of them and let me just say they sound good. have a nice range of tones and effects. the only problem is they're not very reliable in my experience. they tend to run pretty hot. my first one the fan died on it and it started to smell like somethin burning everytime i used it. the second one stopped working unless i used it at at least 50% vol then it would kick in and wake the dead, but if i tried to cut the vol under 50% it would die again. my third one did ok, but i sold it after 3 months cause i was worried it would die somehow. there are many things that can go wrong with these heads and its hard to pinpoint the problems. i dont know about weezer other than some radio songs but i'm sure it would cover the tone. if you're in a gigging band then i'd say no dont buy one. if you're jammin at home or with a few friends then its ok. keep in mind that you can buy a halfstack for like 400 bucks new so tho it may be a deal, cheap price normally = cheap quality. hope this helps. some will say its a great amp and it does sound good, but i'll never buy another cause i'll just have to buy another within a year or so.

oh and as for advice. marshall valvestate (vs100) is a great head that you can get used for probably 150 and is alot closer to traditional marshall sound. no digital effects but its a workhorse. i personally like my crate gt120HL
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.