Playing another instrument, just spreading your time too thin?

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
11/26/2001 11:21 pm
I'm thinking of getting a really cheap keyboard to learn on (and once I'm "ok" at it maybe and organ), plus maybe a bass, and maybe a mandolin (if anyone sells them lefty)... This is really just for fun, not to improve my guitar-ing (if there isn't such a word,well then... I've just invented it), or my theory... but am I being a little to wishful? Post Janaury, I've got absoloutly nothing to do, other than maybe a weekend job, and there are only so many paitings you can paint before you run out of insparation, and gutiar becomes routine...
What do you think? Am I wasting my money on so much cheap stuff, when i could get my self a decent guitar and some pedals? Or is being able to play other insturments an advantage, and should take it?...
I dont know...
# 1
jarviss
jarviss
11/27/2001 2:09 am
i suggest it...
i taught myself guitar....
and only played guitar....
picked up my friends bass once in awhile
and it was fun...
played piano...
played ukulele (fun stuff)
and what else....

i dont know....harmonica too i guess

i think that the more instruments you
try to play or tinker around on...
it will only broaden your horizons in music...

even if you dont plan on being the next
liberace on piano...(and who is, really?)
;)
it's still advantageous to get on there and plink
around..

i mean you already know how to form chords and
know your scales....if not theoretically,,,audibley
(did i make that word up?)
so you can sit down at the keys and pound out a melody...

by sitting there with all these octaves in front of you
in a line...you might be influenced to approach
songwriting in a new manner...
you never know what'll come out
:)

whew ... long post....

whenever i go to my father in law's house...
(he has a grand piano)...i plunk around and
although i can NOT play any song all the way
thru on the piano...i always come up with
melodies that i would not come up wit on the guitar
(actually, i write better ones on the piano)
:(

to sum up.
go for it dude...
you ALREADY have a guitar....

rock on
-G
yo
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/27/2001 3:40 am
There isn't anything you can learn one another instrument that you can't apply to guitar, bass, or anything else for that matter. I think it would be very good for you to pick up some other instruments.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
jarviss
jarviss
11/27/2001 3:45 am
....yeah...what he said
yo
# 4
AuralXiter
AuralXiter
11/27/2001 5:19 am
Bro' Don't hesitate to do anything that would make you happy. You'll only be a better musician and probably a better guitar player for crossing over, at least from a songwriter composer perspective. A lot of guitarists have no sense of texture or tonal variance. Learning more instruments can make you a more well rounded musician. You will be spending less time on the guitar though (possibly).

peace
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/28/2001 10:51 pm
HI!

It can be very helpfull to widen your musical horizon.
Especially when u compose and arrange your own songs containing other instruments. You learn what tonal range several instruments have, what is playable and what is impossible to play with a certain instrument and you get heaps of new inspirations!

If you want to be different and go other ways in music that all the others, then this can be very usefull - my teacher for example writes the guitarparts for his songs on his keyboard and vice versa - so you get to play things on your guitar that you wouldnt have figured out just by using the guit. Simply because a keyboarder plays things in different way as a guitarist would (or a violin player, or whoever).

So knowing about other instruments possabilities and qualities can help you big time to write more interrestinn and uniqe stuff :)

cheers

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
Joseph
Joseph
11/29/2001 3:41 am

Basically when it comes to music there are so many endless possibilities, you shouldn't worry about whether you have found the perfect instrument to experiment with, (just ask yourself if you're enjoying yourself.) Recently I started playing the violin more religiously, mainly because I don't want to look back ten years from now only to realize that I don't have enough patience to the damn thing still for more than five seconds.

Always be willing to experiment with many different instruments, because you never know when your time will become limited. You never know when you'll receive more responsibility, or when you wife is nagging you instead of nibbling on your ear.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.