Hello to everyone!

Danley
Danley
07/07/2008 4:17 am
Hi,

I am a newcomer to this site. I have been playing guitar for years, but never really could play well or improvise. Hoping to hone my skills with the tutorials on this site. So far I am very impressed!

Right now I record, both originals and cover songs of artists I like (CSN, J. Cash, Leo Kottke, Dylan, etc.) MY songs are at the link below if you interested.

I have a Martin J-15 with an LR Baggs pickup, and a marshall acoustic amp. I record into a Rowland Boss digital recorder.

Looking forward to trading thoughts and techniques!!

http://www.soundclick.com/danley
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Danley[/FONT]
# 1
marliga
marliga
07/07/2008 8:04 pm
hi danley i'm marliga, i use a recording program called logic, its good and easy to use and a lot of fun. i have an ibanez rg and i love it i also have an ibanez s and a squire telecaster. sounds cool

marliga :)
# 2
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/07/2008 8:18 pm
I met Leo in Nashville in the late 80's, great guitar player. You covered a few genres with your list of influences, what style of music do you listen to most?

JD
# 3
Danley
Danley
07/07/2008 9:09 pm
(You covered a few genres with your list of influences, what style of music do you listen to most?)

My wife is a big country fan (more modern country), so this is what I listen to the most, driving around, etc. I enjoy Kenny Chesney, Brooks and Dunn, Toby Kieth, Alan Jackson, etc. However, If you look at the list of songs on my MP3 player, you will find Hank Williams, Kingston Trio, Perter Paul and Mary, Jethro Tull, Meatloaf, Black Sabbath, Steely Dan, Stevie Nicks, as well as Fanfare for the Common Man, and 1812 Overture.

I am less about the Genre and more about what catches my ear. I may only listen to one or two songs from a particular artist, because thats what I liked.

Thanks for asking,

http://www.soundclick/danley
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/07/2008 9:27 pm
Peter, Paul and Mary - Puff The Magic Dragon.. FOR THE WIN! :)

But seriously.. it's probably one of my main influences, since it was my favourite song when I was a little kid (ie. "4 years old" little). I was born in 1976 so most of my influences are based around the 60's and 70's, and a little 80's; since that's the stuff my parents would play in the house and car. I also got a fair amount of classical music appreciation instilled into me at an early age.. we used to go to the Sydney Opera House every few months for the contempary shows they used to do.. it was always a great experience. One solo artist springs to mind when I think back on those times, and that person is Acker Bilk on his Clarinet.. brilliant player.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/07/2008 9:34 pm
That reminds me of me, I play mostly country right now at the house gig. I listen to everything, not really into rap, but they play that at club on some of our breaks.

I love anything that's played with taste, you know that piece of music you hear where everything fits.

If you decide you want to learn to pick some of that country stuff, give me a yell.

JD
# 6
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/07/2008 9:43 pm
I know just what you mean, living in nashville let me see performances in all genres, and play quite a few of them.

Most people freak out out when I tell them one of my favorite songs is Moonlight Sonata, and I was amazed when I saw the Falla Guitar trio perform in concert at Belmont.

JD
# 7
Danley
Danley
07/08/2008 3:13 am
Sixpicker,

I will be in touch on those Country Pickin' Methods. I am ramblin through some of the beginner stuff right now to learn scales, which is something I have always ignored. It is all right to play by ear, but it has limited my jamming ability.

I did veer off on to some of Lisa McCormick's DADGAD tuning lessons. Fairly cool!!! Reminds me of Louisiana.

Later....

http://www.soundclick.com/danley
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.