hi I'm new here

marliga
marliga
07/06/2008 11:22 am
Hello.
I'm into guitar and am 14 years old.
I love Steve Vai and Joe Satriani.
I play a Ibanez RG and work on a Logic Programme, writing music.
Looking for some good tips and to learn more about my obsession...
SHREDDIN OUT.
# 1
Danley
Danley
07/07/2008 4:38 am
I sounds like you are at the perfect age to start pursuing your dreams of playing guitar.

I you want advise from someone who did it wrong, then make sure you actually learn guitar. The fret board and names of all the notes. Learn different styles of playing, so that your music becomes a conglomeration of those styles, and not just a repeat of something you heard.

Dedicate time to it. There are many great lessons on this site, from what I have seen so far. Start at the beginning, practice every day.

We have both seen good players, and I know they were not born with the talent. They worked for it.

Nice meeting you!

http://www.soundclick.com/danley
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Danley[/FONT]
# 2
marliga
marliga
07/07/2008 4:13 pm
hi danley you seem cool. how long have you been playing guitar, and what/who inspired you to take up the instrument. :o
# 3
Danley
Danley
07/07/2008 9:17 pm
how long have you been playing guitar, and what/who inspired you to take up the instrument

Been playing on and off for more years than I care to count. Started off in a folk group with Mom and my Brother when I was in gradeschool. (Kingston Trio, Limelighters, etc.)

Played in a garage band for a few years in high school, and then for the next 20 plus years, just as a hobby around campfires.

Now I am settling down to really learn how to play so that I can jam with some of the talent here in KY, and so that I can do better at my recording.

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/danley
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Danley[/FONT]
# 4
liamhart
liamhart
07/10/2008 6:05 pm
hey marlon its liam, cheers for introducing me too this forum (me and marlon are good friends in real life) :D
"Because i do not compete, i am unbeatable".
# 5
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
07/11/2008 10:59 pm
Sorry for the lateness here....Welcome!
Hope you find what you are looking for & more. It's great to see that you're writing away already...Writing and recording yourself is one of the best things that you can do to get your playing to the next level. Practicing scales, exercises, etc....is always great...but there is really no substitute for actually putting what you learn to good use. When I started out years ago, I would sit for hours and hours in my room, with a Rockman, a cheap Tascam 4 track and a Dr Rhythm drum machine...just endlessly recording away. ;)

Be sure & give a yell, if there is anything that you might need help with!

Later,
Don
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.