Playing out?

Nekhabet
Nekhabet
07/03/2008 12:04 am
Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner who has suddenly been struck with the urge to play out when I am able.

Right now, I am still working on the typical beginner stuff but was wondering: is there anything that I should look at/concentrate on (in addition to my current level of guitar/music theory) if I want to play for others in small settings or possibly in a band.

I'm not looking to be a rockstar -- I just want to have fun playing and play with others who are having fun playing. :)

Thanks,
Nek.
Patience and practice leads the way.
# 1
leaf
leaf
07/03/2008 8:58 pm
Well, I started by playing music like crazy. I took every chance I could to play music. Also, If you play lots of covers (Songs other bands wrote) you will get sorta your own understanding of music theory. When I first started to write songs I was really bad and got discouraged a lot but I didn't stop so thats really what kept me going. Every one starts were you are now but not everyone is crazy about music. so, just as long as you keep telling yourself that you rock, keep playing to yourself, friends and family, and don't give up you WILL be really good. The big thing is not to listen to the people that are just mean and think what you want to think about yourself. About playing shows, I always just find a store or something and talk to them on the phone about it or go there to talk about it. If you are positive about your music you will most likely to be booked there (Well,... you have to know what your doing too :D ).
Eat, sleep, and play guitar! :D
Click here to hear my music :)
# 2
Nekhabet
Nekhabet
07/03/2008 10:46 pm
Thanks leaf,

That's good advice. I think I'll start to pull together a list of songs that I would like to learn. Maybe a song from each style in order to take a tour of what's out there and the different techniques.

I agree with what you said about staying positive -- it's easy to start to get negative.

Thanks again,
Nek.
# 3
leaf
leaf
07/05/2008 12:01 am
Thanks. Yeup, its really easy to look down on yourself expecally when you play the same songs over and over again and they get old in your head but other people think you rock. Well, good luck and have fun. :D
Eat, sleep, and play guitar! :D
Click here to hear my music :)
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2008 4:38 pm
All I can say is just get out there and start playing.
Join or form a band asap, even if you can't play and don't have the confidence.

I remember the first few auditions I went on & they'll be forever etched in my memory as the most embarassing and degrading incidents in my life.
But by the 3rd audition, I had it down cold...knew what to expect...knew how to act and what songs I should know etc etc..

It's the only way you'll learn though.
# 5
Nekhabet
Nekhabet
07/26/2008 7:54 pm
That sounds like a good idea. I think that I will make that goal -- to audition for a small band after about a year of practice.

I think I'll start looking into songwriting too - that seems like it would be fun thing to try too.

The way that I am starting to see it -- just getting to play is all good. :)
# 6
Emmanuel Chan
Emmanuel Chan
08/11/2008 10:27 am
You could also practise playing songs standing up too. Because when we perform on stage we don't sit down to play the guitar. You should also find a teacher to help you improve faster than you would if you learnt on your own. Make sure he's good enough to help you too.

These links should help you on the subject of guitar teachers.

http://tomhess.net/Articles/ChoosingATeacher.aspx

http://tomhess.net/Articles/DoYouReallyNeedATeacher.aspx

And it's a good idea to write your own songs now also.

Hope it helps,
Emmanuel Chan
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.