View post (Pick choices?)

View thread

sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
06/26/2008 4:04 pm
I always keep them in my pocket, on shelves, in guitar cases, in my gig bag, probably at least a dozen within reach right now. I even have pick holders on key chains, and oddly enough I'll end up digging for the one I want.

I mostly use Clayton USA, and Jim Dunlop, the thickness depends on what guitar, or instrument I'm playing.

If I'm playing acoustic or mandolin then I use Dunlop tortex 1.14mm, and gator grip 1.1mm picks. Sometimes I use an Dunlop tortex .88mm if I'm picking something really fast.

If I'm playing a tele, strat, tenor banjo, or dulcimer I use Clayton USA .63mm picks. I used to use thicker picks for everything, but I needed a lighter touch on electric. All of my picking buddies looked like they were barely touching the strings, and the tone was great. Since I started lightening up so to speak, I've loosened up, and been able to pick up more speed.

Using a thinner pick makes it easier to roll and tuck it, and play using my thumb, and fingers. This is harder to do with thicker picks, since they don't give as much they're always sliding around. I may have to put together a lesson to show how useful this little trick can be.

Time to edit some video, hope everyone has a great day.

JD