View post (What ever happened to the guitar solo???)

View thread

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/25/2001 5:11 pm
here's my very cynical view: the guitarists today do not have the skill to perform a solo.

however, i know that's not completely true. there are many factors. i don't think it's because there is only one guitarist, because i can name hundreds of bands that with on guitarist that still performed great solos. (Zeppelin, J.H. Experience) anyways, nowadays everything being crunched down into a three minute pop song. in addition, in todays record industry i've noticed that you don't necessarily need talent to succeed. anyways i am major cynic when i comes to tdays music. there may be other reasons.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By