Who reads guitar magazines here?

Silimtao
Silimtao
06/01/2008 10:15 pm
When I first started out, there was Guitar Player, and maybe another mag devoted to acoustic guitar playing. I subscribed to GP for over 20 yrs and had every issue. I bought it mostly to read about my guitar heroes, and the up and coming hotshots. Pretty much read it cover to cover- except for the theory articles; my loss.

I picked up a Guitar World mag recently when they did a roundup on pedal boxes. Now, I see at least half a dozen guitar related mags out there.

So who reads what, and why? What sets one mag apart from another? Do you learn anything from them?

When I look at all the guitar mags on the stands now, I don't know who 90% of the people are on the cover, and I don't know if I'd get anything or want anything in the cd most of them seem to have.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
06/01/2008 11:36 pm
i subscribe to Guitar Player. i like it cause they have gear reviews and atricles of neat things or theory stuff to play.

if i buy another guitar mag its cause either there is a tab i want or some kind of work shop that id like to learn.

most of the guitar mags to me just like every other mag seem to have too much advertizing and the reviews always seem a bit skewd towards the products (when they do a review and have 4 other ads for the item kind of things).

but thats kind of my opinion
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/02/2008 3:09 am
I too used to subscribe to and read Guitar World when starting out, but it ran out one year and I didn't miss it, so I haven't read one since. But then I got a subscription to Guitar One as a Christmas present a couple of years ago, and that was cool. I remember the lessons being what I usually liked most. But again, it ran out and I didn't bother with it.

My favorite "mag" is prolly just a good ole Musician's Friend catalog. :p
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/02/2008 3:50 am
I had Guitar Player for about a year. They had a lot of cool bits of into and workshops that were interesting, but when it expired I didn't really feel that I had to renew it, so I guess that was the end of that.
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/02/2008 4:13 am
I used to buy Guitar World and Guitar One from time to time. I liked Guitar World better, but I don't remember why. Then one day I realized that they're 60% ads and geared almost exclusively to people who are into the new hard-rock scene, which I am not. So I stopped buying.

I got a couple of those acoustic magazines (not Acoustic Guitar, the classier-lookin' ones) from my teacher once, but I couldn't really get into them either, not being too involved in the modern world of acoustic virtuosos.

I guess they're cool if you can find one that caters to your musical interests, but I never could.
# 5
ren
ren
06/02/2008 9:00 am
I get 'Guitarist' magazine every month - it's a UK one but I've seen it on US newstands on my visists over there too.

Not too heavy on the ads and they have a nice mix of articles. I generally thumb through it lazily as the month passes, but it lasts more or less until the next one turns up through the door...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/02/2008 6:42 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdMy favorite "mag" is prolly just a good ole Musician's Friend catalog. :p
Yeah, me too. I love looking at all the latest gear and guitars...but...it's like Playboy. Can look, but can't have, lol :D
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.