View post (Naming chords in relation to keys/modes)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
05/29/2008 4:14 am
Quick question that has been bugging me for a while.

Are chords names always derived from the major scale?

By that I mean do I always use the major scale to decide what a chord name is.

I have also seen chords (in jazz mostly) written like Imaj7 or a IV maj7, and so on. Does that mean that I am forming those chords from the mode of the key I am in so, for simplicities sake if I was playing in C major, the Vmaj7 would be a Gmaj7 chord formed from the steps of the mixolydian mode.

Or does it just mean I am playing a normal maj7 chord just using G as the root. To tell you the truth I am not even sure what notes are in a maj7 or how one is formed. I just sorta picked it. I'm sure I've played it I just don't pay much attention.

I am trying to get into playing jazz and I want to know my chords really well. I understand the concept behind chord creation and all that I am just not sure what a major 7 would be, considering in the major scale the 7th interval is half a step under the root, unless it is just talking about a major chord (i-iii-v) with a 7 slapped in there, and a min7 is just a minor chord with the same. That would make sense.

Anyway I am just wondering about chord naming because I am not sure if I should be naming them and creating them based on the mode that corresponds to the root of the key or what. This seems particularly relevant with augmented chords since the order of the notes may change depending on where you are playing them in the progression. So a A7 add 9 isn't always the same shape depending on the key since the 9th interval is going to be different depending on the key and chord progression your playing in.

Anyway. I guess that was kinda long winded for something rather simple. Just something that has been bothering me, hope I can clear it up and move on.