View post (Need help finding Beethoven tabs!)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
05/28/2008 1:13 pm
Hey Dude, this is something I've done a few times. I practice my chops and my ear by working out some of the classics like Beethoven, Paganini, Liszt and Brahms. It's also cool to play those through an electric guitar with a rock backing;-)
I tried Internet tabs and I have to say none of them were any good. The best way IMO to work them out is to download the midi file (loads of classical midi websites out there with just about every piece imaginable), then upload it into a sequencer (get Reaper if you don't already have one). Once loaded up you can easily identify the notes and slow the speed up and down to wahtever speed you want. You can also mute the instruments you don't want to hear to get exactly what you need from the score. Then just select whatever bars you want and loop them in your sequencer, after you work out the fingering you can play along with the loop at your own pace untill you get it accurate and work it up to the right speed. This is also a really great way of training your ear and learning about orchestration and composition.