S R V

head_creeps
head_creeps
05/21/2008 10:31 am
DISCLAIMER: NO FLAMING DUE TO MY IGNORANCE ALLOWED!! :p

[U]OMFG[/U] This guy is awesome!!!
I'm 35 and had obviously heard [U]OF[/U] SRV but until a week or so ago while listening to a classic rock radio station I had never knowingly [U]HEARD[/U] him. I loved the song I heard so got on Amazon and bought "The essential SRV and Double Trouble". I don't think I've listened to anything else this past week!! His music has really blown me away and left me kicking myself that I left it WAY to late getting into him that I'll never get to see him perform live. :(
Anyways, I am now a fully paid up SRV junkie, and would appreciate advice on other essential SRV purchases and/or other blues (and jazz please!!)artists I may be missing!!
Thankyou in advance

head_creeps
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/22/2008 2:49 am
Personally, I have a tough time picking out anything specific. It's all worth it. I've always felt that Soul to Soul was his weakest effort and it's still pretty good. As far as other blues artists, dude there are so many. Depends on what style you're interested in. Let me kick it around for a little bit and I am sure that you'll get tons of advice. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/22/2008 3:04 am
-Live Alive!
-The Sky is Crying
-Texas Flood
-Couldn't Stand the Weather

There's also a really killer live album of him playing live with Albert King that's well worth checking out.

PS: The 'cool points' you lost with the whole SRV issue are balanced out by the AiC reference in your handle.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/22/2008 5:57 am
The only SRV thing I have is some album he did with his brother Jimmie, and I find it really boring. I actually enjoy his stuff with Double Trouble a lot, but for some reason I don't have anything by them.
# 4
ren
ren
05/22/2008 7:11 am
I think Earthman is talking about 'Family Style'... an album I actually quite like.

Anyway, my favourite SRV tracks would be 'Pride and Joy' and his version of 'Little Wing'... but you can't really go wrong :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
head_creeps
head_creeps
05/23/2008 9:42 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov

PS: The 'cool points' you lost with the whole SRV issue are balanced out by the AiC reference in your handle.

LOL, thankyou very much!! :cool:
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/23/2008 7:33 pm
Hey head_creeps,

I can't recommend anyone in particular as essential (other than the obvious influence of Hendrix), but there's plenty of live footage of SRV on youtube I've seen, and lessons of his style or particular tunes.

fwiw, I've seen him live at least 3-4 times, the last when Jeff Beck opened for him at MSG in NYC....believe it or not, I was disappointed every time. He always had sound problems or something, and I can't recall him do some of his slower stuff like "Lenny", which I think is a beautiful tune, or his cover of Little Wing. I can't even remember him do a slow blues, which is what I would have liked. He just did his fast Hendrix covers, and his own fast originals. As much as I love the guy, it was too much of the same thing for me for 2 hrs.

Personally, I like Rude Mood- haven't fully figured that one out entirely; I find it pretty challenging with the left hand palm muting, double-stops and the little fills. And Lenny, I really love this tune, and it's not that really that hard to play- took me awhile to figure out the chords, and still not sure what they're named (depending on how you look at the voicing, I think you can call 'em a couple things), but they're "jazz chords". There's really only 2 or 3 chord shapes in the whole tune.

Yeah, great voice, and despite his Hendrix influence, he had his own style.

Hey, don't feel bad about your "ignorance"- I'm still living in the '70s, and only figuring out metal/shredding.

Now, can someone tell me what the "AiC" reference is? :confused:

Oh, there's a site called steviesnacks.com where the guy shows you a lot of lessons. He's mostly right, but I think he gets some things wrong, but worth taking a look at. But there's something about how he does vibrato that aggravates the hell out of me.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/23/2008 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoNow, can someone tell me what the "AiC" reference is? :confused:

"Head Creeps" is the name of an Alice in Chains song.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/23/2008 10:05 pm
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov"Head Creeps" is the name of an Alice in Chains song.
Thanks, Raskolnikov. Heard of 'em forever, but never really "heard" them.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 9
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/24/2008 5:09 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoThanks, Raskolnikov. Heard of 'em forever, but never really "heard" them.

You should, they were pretty damn great.
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/24/2008 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckYou should, they were pretty damn great.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to most music over the last 20 years, it would take me another 20 just to catch up. I'm discovering "new" metal bands from playing Guitar Hero with my son. Pantera, Motorhead, Metallica. It blows my mind when listening to a "classic rock" station, and they're playing Hendrix, Cream, Zep! :eek:

# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/25/2008 1:08 pm
I guess I have always had a soft spot for "Texas Flood" if I had to pick a favorite SRV disc. It's like trying to pick a favorite Dylan disc. Each one has some really terrific tracks. I guess my advice would be to listen to them all! :D

He really was a terrific player. I think that both 'Lenny' and his take on 'Little Wing' really show off his ability to play a slow burn and there are countless examples of how he could rip up and down the fretboard.
# 12
head_creeps
head_creeps
05/25/2008 4:06 pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to get busy and start buying 'em all!! :)

Silimtao; such a shame that a guy with that much talent never really connected with you live. I'll check out that website too, many thanks!!

And for those interested, Alice in Chains are recording a new album. can't remember the name of thier new singer at the moment, but i saw 'em at Download a coupla years back and they were great (I was starting to get drunk at that point mind!!). AiC are definately one of my fave bands and i love Jerry Cantrells solo stuff too, well worth checking out!!

head_creeps
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/25/2008 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: head_creepsHey guys,
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to get busy and start buying 'em all!! :)

Silimtao; such a shame that a guy with that much talent never really connected with you live. I'll check out that website too, many thanks!!

And for those interested, Alice in Chains are recording a new album. can't remember the name of thier new singer at the moment, but i saw 'em at Download a coupla years back and they were great (I was starting to get drunk at that point mind!!). AiC are definately one of my fave bands and i love Jerry Cantrells solo stuff too, well worth checking out!!

head_creeps

I have been recently rediscovering Alice in Chains and I gotta say, I am becoming a bit of a fan. I really like what I've heard so far. When they first came out, I only ever heard what they played on the radio which I thought was okay but nothing that made me take notice. But since they get so much praise here on GT, I started listening again and I am really impressed.

See, you really can teach an old dog some new tricks! :D
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/26/2008 4:01 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60I have been recently rediscovering Alice in Chains and I gotta say, I am becoming a bit of a fan.

I've been a fan for a long time but every once in a while I'll get on a big 'Seattle' kick where I listen almost exclusively to them, The Gits and Soundgarden.

Plus, my company is known as "The Roosters" so that of course lends itself to a certain song being played.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.