Favourite Bands?

byrdbrain
byrdbrain
05/21/2008 11:24 pm
: :D Man Superhuman u play good i listened to that song u played. I just wanted u to know it sounded great !:)
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/22/2008 9:18 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerathank you superhuman, i think you said what all of us 'real metal heads' are thinking. i dont really agree with you about haveing to grow up in the 80's to know what real metal is though.

lol :) I suppose I meant to say that if you grew up in the 80's with the long hair and patches on your jacket you would have a different experience of the whole metal scene. It was a really cool time, every second person was a metalhead - hot chicks dressed up like groupies, everyone had an offensive t-shirt with a skull on it.... aaaahhh the good old days :cool:
# 2
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
05/22/2008 11:53 pm
nah see....
you cant put somthing like, lamb of god, and acdc in the same category.
they sound COMPLETELY different.

and as far as black sabbath and such sounding "heavy" ... what are you smoking?

old rock bands may have been called metal, but they arent anymore.

just like a proggressive band in the 1950's, would be the most cliched thing in the world now.
# 3
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/23/2008 12:01 am
since ac/dc has never been considered metal i guess putting them into the same catagory wouuld be hard.

black sabbath does sound heavy try more of their songs than just what you hear on the radio.

and there is a whole lot more to sounding 'heavy' than playing fast or detuning your guitar.

heres is an edit to my post here.

bands like lamb of god, are death or goth or even devil metal

(pre black album)metallica megadeth bands like that are thrash or even speed metal

bands like bon jovi def lepard poisin dokken those are whats comicly called hair metal (names of all the hair back then)

bands like black sabbath judas priest and even deep purple to some extent are often called (by me atleast) classical metal. but yes you can hear alot of the older metal on classical rock stations.

now as you can see your insult calling what most here listen to "not metal" is completely false jamesplayer. nearly every band that was once called metal can still be called metal execpt a few. post black album metallica became pop music for instance. named so because it is what is popular.

me personally i would like an apology from you jamesplayer. but ill settle for you simply learning from your mistake.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 4
Spedzar
Spedzar
05/30/2008 5:22 am
Originally Posted by: jamesplaysgitarnah see....
you cant put somthing like, lamb of god, and acdc in the same category.
they sound COMPLETELY different.

and as far as black sabbath and such sounding "heavy" ... what are you smoking?

old rock bands may have been called metal, but they arent anymore.

just like a proggressive band in the 1950's, would be the most cliched thing in the world now.

jamesplaysguitar are you for real dude or just s@#t stirring? If you are for real, then I guess you are the kind of person that likes a good argument with anyone that actually cares? So for what it's worth I'm gonna get a bit philosophical with you...

Labelling any kind of metal music "real" over some other kind is purely an ego trip. It probably means that you are insecure about some genres of metal and therefore feel a need to protect your views about what you perceive is "real" instead of having an open mind and listening to people that really know what they are talking about (like Superhuman for instance) from experience.

Now I'm not saying that there isn't a place for "Lamb of God" etc (BTW I love Opeth), but man it's horses for courses, and everything is "real" (unless everything is in fact "not real") in this world and the way to learn about it is to experience it and embrace it. You don't have to like it but you should accept it. No use telling people something stupid like Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath isn't heavy because it always was and always will be. And if it never was, Lamb of God would never have been.

Now, when you next go to the thread you posted elsewhere on this site asking about Jazz guitarists, I have given you a link to something you might like. Given you appear to be into heavier stuff, I will also suggest that you have a listen to any of Mike Patton's side projects (such as Fantomas, Mr Bungle, Tomahawk) that integrate modern metal with many other genres to come up with something slightly more intelligent and interesting than "Cookie Monster Metal". :)

Happy trails...
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/30/2008 6:33 am
Originally Posted by: jamesplaysgitarand as far as black sabbath and such sounding "heavy" ... what are you smoking?

I would just like to say that heaviness doesn't necessarily come from chunked-out guitars thumping away through amps turned up to 11. I think the heaviness is in the tension felt between notes. Black Sabbath DEFINITELY has that.
# 6
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
05/30/2008 8:04 am
i think heaviness is more timbre....
ive heard meshuggah, black sabbath, nile, etc etc.
but i don think ive ever heard guitar heavier than deer dance by system of a down.

im just confused, because i base what i know as metal, on lamb of god.

and those classic rock bands sound NOTHING like them.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.