drop-b truss rod problems?

shredder429
shredder429
05/15/2008 4:39 am
hey ya'll my name is mark I'm 14 I live in Arkansas and I've been playing for 2 years and I have an epiphone sg and I have a fender deluxe blackout telecaster on layaway at my local guitar shop. Anyway I play metal music and I tune from standard all the way down to drop b sometimes a all the freakin time I mean I go back and forth tuning probley 5 times every day and I kno it wares the crap out of my strings(ernies ball uneven slinky 12-56) I play an 4 hours a day I mean playing guitar is my life but I've been recently reading on the forums here that that will mess up my truss rod and I have never heard that before and I would like to get some information on that so I will kno so when I get that fender off of layaway I will b able to take care of the best I possibly can because it was very expensive. But if u could give me some feedback about this because I would like to learn as much as possible. Mark Troillett
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/16/2008 5:03 pm
Your best bet is that when you get the second guitar, tune one to standard and one to drop b. I use to do that as well going from standard and work my way down to drop b on a daily basis. After a while I stopped when I got anther Shecter and use that for fullstep down, drop c, and drop b. My other Schecter is for standard and drop b, and my Dean is for Eb.

Doing that 5 times a day isn't a good idea, but I did it roughly 4 times a week with no problems.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
05/16/2008 9:08 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccYour best bet is that when you get the second guitar, tune one to standard and one to drop b. I use to do that as well going from standard and work my way down to drop b on a daily basis. After a while I stopped when I got anther Shecter and use that for fullstep down, drop c, and drop b. My other Schecter is for standard and drop b, and my Dean is for Eb.

Doing that 5 times a day isn't a good idea, but I did it roughly 4 times a week with no problems.

What he said.....going back and forth between such drastic tunings will eventually screw the neck up...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
shredder429
shredder429
05/17/2008 3:46 am
thats because I'm on my iPhone and it pretty much is like using a calculator pressing the buttons but thanks guys I'll keep that In mind I didn't realize that or I wouldn't have done it but thanks
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/17/2008 6:39 am
The thing about the calculator has nothing to do with you, its just my signature that appears after all of my posts just like HDJ's myspace link.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
shredder429
shredder429
05/17/2008 6:45 am
I knew that LOL I feel pretty stupid now but it seemed kinds crazy how u would b able to pick that out but I gotcha
# 6
stevo-edwards
stevo-edwards
05/17/2008 10:29 am
Originally Posted by: shredder429hey ya'll my name is mark I'm 14 I live in Arkansas and I've been playing for 2 years and I have an epiphone sg and I have a fender deluxe blackout telecaster on layaway at my local guitar shop. Anyway I play metal music and I tune from standard all the way down to drop b sometimes a all the freakin time I mean I go back and forth tuning probley 5 times every day and I kno it wares the crap out of my strings(ernies ball uneven slinky 12-56) I play an 4 hours a day I mean playing guitar is my life but I've been recently reading on the forums here that that will mess up my truss rod and I have never heard that before and I would like to get some information on that so I will kno so when I get that fender off of layaway I will b able to take care of the best I possibly can because it was very expensive. But if u could give me some feedback about this because I would like to learn as much as possible.

Hey Mark...

I'm no luthier, but I have been playin Guitar for 47 yeas this year. Guitar has been my life since I was 5 when my Uncle put an old twelve string in my lap and cut off the octave strings until I could get the hang of it. Started out on Bluegrass with my uncle's on Pop on the Front Porch. From there went to Hendrix and Sabbath stuff. When I was in my teens I was playing with many open tunings on accoustic and Electric guitars. I would play sometimes up to 12 hrs a day (ahh to be a kid again) I don't have that luxury now but I still sometimes tune one or two of my guitars to drop D / B and Eb, Open Minor and Slack Key several times a day. Other than standard maint. I've never had a prob.

The best thing (and what I recommend!) Check with a Certified Lutier for possible damage. Your Guitar is not only a tool but your best friend (not to get OCD on ya) I've had an old Lyle 12 for over 35 years. still in perfect shape and has been thru thick and thin with me over the years. She's been to, at lease, 15 countries and and many different climates. If you want to know how to give your best friend as much life as you can, talk to someone who makes them breath. I found an old dude that not only fixed'm but built'm... Other than an occassional Love (wear) Mark, every guitar I've ever bought or been given to me I still have and are well...

Rock on man!

Peace...

PS, No matter what anyone says... You can never have to many guitars! :cool:
:cool: Just Play Man... Just Play...
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/17/2008 4:41 pm
Originally Posted by: shredder429I knew that LOL I feel pretty stupid now but it seemed kinds crazy how u would b able to pick that out but I gotcha

It was actually taken from another forum when a kid was describing someone being an ass at a concert.

Myspace
# 8
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/18/2008 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by: HDJWhat he said.....going back and forth between such drastic tunings will eventually screw the neck up...

It'll also cause extra wear on the machine heads
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.