third string (G) problem

stocz2
stocz2
05/11/2008 2:49 pm
Looking for some help,

I had just purchased my Ibanez GAX70 electric guitar just over a month ago. Purchased it directly from Guitar center.

When i play the g string open it sounds ok. But then when i practice playing the open E major chord, it sounds bad. I then press the g string on the the first fret only. Sounds really bad there also. It doesn't sound good until i get to the 5th fret. It is not a buzzing, or muted sound. It's not a clean, clear sound. It almost sounds like a dead fog horn. That rings alot longer then the other strings. Even to a beginner like myself. It should doesn't sound right.
I have tried lowering amd raising the action, but still no difference.
Retuned it after every adjustment.

If anyone can help, please do. If not i'll have to take it to GC and have them look at it.

Thanks
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/12/2008 12:10 am
Have you properly intoned it? If not...try this.

As a sidenote, G strings are notorious for sounding a little off. I don't think there's a single guitar player out there who hasn't gotten pissed off at one at some point.
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
05/12/2008 6:26 pm
Have you tried replacing the string? Could be a bad one or has gone dead.. it happens.....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
stocz2
stocz2
05/13/2008 9:50 pm
I want to thank everyone again,

The bad news is after i returned home from GC, i tried practicing on my guitar. I was getting the bad sound again. So, i gave up after that, and called it a day .

I tried practicing today, no changes made on the guitar. Only the pressure of my fingers. And guess what. YES, i am a newb. What a beautiful sound .
Did i mention what a newb i am ? I guess with the action lowered, i don't have to really give that much pressure on the strings. So with the less pressure, it sounded alot better. I then added the opened E, Am,D,A . Alot easier to do with the action lowered.

Thanks again
Cliff
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.