View post (Deep Emotion)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/13/2008 5:46 pm
Originally Posted by: EPISODERI find it easy to write songs whenever I'm feeling very strong emotions.

Most of the time (sadly) the crappier I feel, the better of a song I write. Lyrics seem to come to me whenever I feel good, but melodies and beats just flow out of me when I'm down.

I write metal-core most of the time, but recently something came up with a girl I really care for, and I wrote the best song I've ever written, in 10 min. It was sort of like a metal ballad.

I really would like to know under what conditions you guys (and gals) write better songs.

Perseverance.

Seriously.... I have a timeclock program on my computer and every time I sit down at it I click it on and count how much time I'm spending on songwriting and studio work.

On average I probably do 5 to 8 hours per day.

The general idea is, just sit there and do something.
Even if it sucks or you have no ideas at all... there's always something you can be doing like coming up with lyrical ideas, or loops, or riffs or even just general maintenance on your website or whatever.

At the end of the week I'm always surprised that I've spent 30+ hours or more working... even though to me it doesn't seem like work.

I think of it this way.

I've got a Sony PS3 that I play Grand Theft Auto on just as often as I work on music.
I just treat doing music the same way as playing the game.
It's a way to pass time and the more time you spend on it the better you get.

(and if anybody wants to get into a helicopter battle with me on GTA, gimme a shout.... I'll trash ya :)