View post (chords/modes)

View thread

04/28/2008 11:42 am
Well it depends on your teacher's teaching style.

You see, some teachers will make you learn a few chords and wait till your able to play them, then they will go into what makes the chords.

Others do the total opposite and teach you the chord construction then they show you how to play the chords.

It's very important that you sit down and talk a bit with your teacher to figure out what his teaching approach is. It is also important that you tell him if one way of learning is hard for you than the other.

If I take myself as an example, I learn much quicker if I learn how to play then learn what I'm playing. It falls into place a lot faster this way for me. Some of my friends guitar player are the opposite, they sit down with a book and are able to figure out the lesson without even picking up a guitar. I can't do that. I need to see, and physically play the material to make it sink in. It was a problem in school, I had a hard time with learning material that had no physical application.

We're all different and your teacher should take that into consideration.

Just let him know you're not sure what his asking and he'll tell you where he wants you to go from there.