acoustic guitar strings

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/14/2008 7:16 am
i dont really want another post about which string brand is better, i think there has been enough of those. what i actually looking for here is a comparison of tone between strings. i think this site miight help players even more by offering guides for things like strings.
what i am looking for is a string that is warm but doesnt sound metallic.

i have been using

elixirs nanoweb which have a bright, trebley tone.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/14/2008 2:04 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai dont really want another post about which string brand is better, i think there has been enough of those. what i actually looking for here is a comparison of tone between strings. i think this site miight help players even more by offering guides for things like strings.
what i am looking for is a string that is warm but doesnt sound metallic.

i have been using

elixirs nanoweb which have a bright, trebley tone.

Heya Broken,

I'd think your acoustic would have a lot to do with the tone of the strings. I have a cheap Ovation, and no matter what strings I put on them, the tone is kind of dull. Some guitars are simply inherently dull in sound. I have a cheap acoustic (no-namer) that sounds great- to me. The balance of bass and top strings is pretty even. What gauge strings do you use now, and what model guitar do you have? Maybe if you post it, someone may be better able to offer a suggestion.

Funny that you mention the Elixirs- guess you may have seen my recent review. They sound warmer than I like on my electrics. I may amend my review a bit after playing them a bit more. Anyway, post the model of your acoustic- I think that can go a long way in members giving you ideas.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/14/2008 7:20 pm
im using a cheap washburn d-100. it sounds good to me and the treble problem didnt start until i put grover machine heads on it. the stock strings that came on it had a more balanced tone than these. and i use light gague.

this whole post started because im going to be buying a new set of bridge pins, new saddle and a new nut, and i really want that warm balanced sound again.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/14/2008 7:48 pm
Personally I hate Elixer's, they feel way too slipery with the coating stuff they have on there, and IMO its pointless to have a string with a coating to make it last longer. Its going to get fully stretched out in the same time as any other string so why pay more? I've stuck with Martin's and been happy ever since.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/15/2008 1:44 am
Originally Posted by: BrokenJera
this whole post started because im going to be buying a new set of bridge pins, new saddle and a new nut, and i really want that warm balanced sound again.

With new pins, saddle and nut, I think you're introducing a whole new set of variables that may have an overall effect on the tone. JMHO, but I'd suggest seeing how the tone is after you have the new hardware in place.

There's really no telling how a set of strings will resonate with the new set-up.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
04/20/2008 6:54 am
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerathe stock strings that came on it had a more balanced tone than these. and i use light gague.

This stood out as the first thing to me. Did you notice if the stock strings were heavier at all? Light strings (especially the unwounds) won't have as much "ummph" or voluminous sustain. I'd try a set of mediums or maybe a custom set (like skinny top/heavy bottom) first. Yeah, they're a bit harder on the fingers, but if you don't like your sound, it'd be worth it, and you'd adjust after awhile.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 6
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/20/2008 9:49 am
actually i have decided after a long conversation with a guitar guy i know, i just going to replace the guitar. from what he has told me if i want the sonds im looking for, mostly a thicker mid range and some beefier lows, i wont get that if i dont already have it. he even had me play a cheap fender acoustic and there was a pretty big difference. the upgrades/improvements are going to cost around $100 and 3-5 work hours (the money/ work hours dont mean much to me i love doing it) but i dont even have a cut on this one, and i keep getting wanteing to play higher up on the neck.

i will be keeping this guitar and playing it often, once i find the right strings, but i guess it will become the road guitar for when i go play in the park and stuff.
# 7
looneytunes
looneytunes
04/21/2008 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJera
what i am looking for is a string that is warm but doesnt sound metallic..

I maybe missing the true though behind this thread, but what I gathered you are playing an acoustic guitar and want a more bass/mellow tone. Much like a Martin.

One way to get this without spending too much money is to use a heavy pick, such as, a Dawg. They cost about $5, but I sounds great. It's not a flexible pick.

Sorry, if missed the orginal thought concerning strings.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/21/2008 4:47 pm
It's amazing how many replies you got that don't directly answer the question!

Acoustic guitar strings use different materials than electric strings. There's no need to interact with the magnetic field of pickups, so there is no need to use steel or nickel wrapping.

Most acoustic strings have a steel core with either bronze or phosphor-bronze wrapping. The phosphor bronze usually sounds brighter.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Dragon Fighter
Dragon Fighter
04/22/2008 12:44 am
I own a Takamine Dreadnaught, (A well made one I have to admit, my first quality accoustic) and I love the strings on these! Their D'Addario EXP 80/20 lights, and are the best strings I have ever used on any accoustic. (Not that I've played many, but that's besides the point.) They have a nice warm sound when playing chords, and bright when just picking. I haven't played Elixir strings yet, but with these ones, I probably won't for a long time.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.