GT Solo Assignment - April 2008

equator
equator
04/13/2008 8:43 pm
Hi guys.

I updated my take.
+ Backing Track level is lower.
+Low frequencies below the 87 Hz on the guitar solo were cut .
+ First tapping section redone.
+ Fade Out applied at the ending.

Hopefully it sounds better now. :)

equator

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
04/19/2008 3:19 pm
Mpaq - I really liked that take. Super tone, great little themes and well controlled. Shades of 'Ghost riders in the sky' at one point.

Equator - that was much better - smoothly played and not overcomplicated - good listen!

This is my final take. Dropped the slide intro, I just couldn't get it to work. It follows my usual theme of 'find a couple of phrases and work 'em to death!'. Not really up to much, but I've heard the track too often now so thats it!

wriggleruk
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
04/20/2008 11:33 am
Sorry.. haven't been around much the last week or so.. I am in the process of buying a new unit/apartment and it's very stressful and time-consuming to say the least. Anyone who has had to do this knows exactly what I am talking about. The unit I put a deposit on fell through because of a strata management report I got back that didn't look good..

In any case, I have attempted to do a solo over the top this month's track and I just can't seem to get into a rhythm or find a melodic pathway to go anywhere with it. Every time I felt I was on to something, either the key changed or I was not in the right key to begin with.. it could be to do with the 5th chords I suppose, as I am not used to playing solos over power chords at all..

If I have the time to spare, I will attempt another go at it.. has anyone got any pointers or tips on finding a groove on this one? I am just not used to the style at all..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
wwb
wwb
04/21/2008 4:17 am
It's a great backing track.
I was having trouble with the verse because even though it's in Am it felt like it was going somewhere else. As soon as I added the 9th I got it to sort of fit.

Here it is...

wwb - apr08
# 4
mpaq
mpaq
04/24/2008 5:41 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkMpaq - I really liked that take. Super tone, great little themes and well controlled. Shades of 'Ghost riders in the sky' at one point.

Equator - that was much better - smoothly played and not overcomplicated - good listen!

This is my final take. Dropped the slide intro, I just couldn't get it to work. It follows my usual theme of 'find a couple of phrases and work 'em to death!'. Not really up to much, but I've heard the track too often now so thats it!

wriggleruk

Thanks Steve, glad you liked my take. I like the way you used your wah....actually several interesting things in your take...i need to give a better listen when i have more time and will comment along with all the others. As far as your reference to Ghost Riders, all i can say to that is yipee yi yah :)
# 5
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
04/27/2008 8:24 am
Here's my take.... GT APRIL 08

I really find it hard to solo over this track.... It's unbelievable that I struggled with my own BT :confused: and im still not happy with it.....
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 6
Spedzar
Spedzar
04/27/2008 11:40 am
I know there is no excuse to post such a horrible effort but the truth is I started this with good intentions yesterday, then was interrupted about 10 times whilst recording. :mad: At least I got a basic melody happening for one section... Finally the whole process got to me, I hooked up the Roland synth and just played anything. I have no idea, really, and to Shaz, I'm sorry for destroying such a great backing track... :o Maybe next time I'll be in a better frame of mind for this stuff. Oh well at least the fishing's been great...

April

April alternate
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/28/2008 2:25 pm
Hey fellas, just got 'semi-positive' word back on my ears, I do have tinnitus (permanent ringing in both ears) but I don't have a brain tumor (thank f%$k!). Havent listened to music even on the radio for the past two months while I got MRI's and tests. Anyway, the time is very tight for this month's assignment but I will try to fire out a few licks tonight if I get a chance. If I can't get around to it I will get on the next one, hope to get to it Shaz, would love to play over your backing! Looking forward to hearing all of the other entries, will comment and vote whether I submit or not.
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/29/2008 5:12 pm
Ok, I started on this last night and hope to have something by tomorrow. It won't be a masterpiece but it its great to be back playing again - so hold on before you close the thread down please!

Edit update: Started recording last night and got something reasonable down - just need to tweak the EQ this evening and I'll post it then. Excellent backing track Shaz, really cool chordal structures - very nice to work with. Finding this one works with a slower more even paced lead rather than all out shred. Havent listened to anyone elses submission yet but looking forward to haering the variations.

Final edit! Wife and kids sick last night so I didn't get a chance to do a mix down. Give me untill tonight please!! Guarantee to have it in this evening.
# 9
mpaq
mpaq
05/01/2008 5:45 pm
"Final edit! Wife and kids sick last night so I didn't get a chance to do a mix down. Give me untill tonight please!! Guarantee to have it in this evening."

"I am a 100% self-thought guitarist, I play by ear and know pretty much nothing about music theory - what little I do know is from piano lessons I took s a kid, Bach and Mozart mainly. I've developed as a guitarist by being able to see the tones on the fretboard in patterns and from having a good ear - don't ask me to the name the strings on my guitar because I probably couldn't!"
# 10
equator
equator
05/01/2008 8:54 pm
Hey guys.
I just listened to all the takes submitted so far.
And I think everybody did an excellent job.

I can’t wait to hear Superhuman’s solo.

Once again good job everybody. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/02/2008 2:16 am
Ok, finally got something down in between nappies and bottles;-) Not expecting any votes on this one, been a while since I've played so this one is a bit rusty - timing issues and a couple of bum notes. Wish I had more time to put some though into this because its such an excellent backing track. Thanks to Maestro Shaz for a great piece of music!

Mpac, thanks for the words, nothing too shreddy this month - been out of action for a few months with my ears so this is a little shaky. Hope you still like it!
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6509498&q=hi

Looking forward to checking ut everyones take - I'll post comments when the voting page is up.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.