Judas Priest's "Painkiller"

quickfingers
quickfingers
04/04/2008 10:27 pm
anyone know the solo? i'm gonna be playing the lead part for a band in the near future so i thought i'd get a head-start on it. from studying it and practicing it today, i've come to the conclusion that the solo is remarkably hard due to both technique and the variation of techniques used in it. an yngwie solo is by far no easy task, but at least i can see his runs coming and they're fairly predictable. this solo is all over the place. i've only worked on the first half so far and i know there are some difficult things i the later half of it, but one thing that particularly annoyed me was a shred run that tied right into 2 beats of a complex tapping sequence, and finished off with a min7 sweep. i dumbed it down a bit to make it only a 3 string sweep (a-la-yngwie) but the sequence is nearly impossible to get in time with the song. maybe he taps the notes with his pick or uses another finger and is more proficient than me with this technique, but i find it balls-to-the-wall annoying to play this.

i'm not really looking for advice, just a fellow guitarist to at least say "yea, F**K the painkiller solo".
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 1
Oleg Z.M.C.M.P.
Oleg Z.M.C.M.P.
04/05/2008 7:39 pm
That solo gets easier the deeper you get into it - i never completely tried attempting learning it , but from what ive seen on powertabs its just really long and your fingers have plenty of time to breathe between runs so just take your time with it... oh and PAINKILLER RULLEZ!
# 2
-dragonfire-
-dragonfire-
04/06/2008 5:12 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersanyone know the solo? i'm gonna be playing the lead part for a band in the near future so i thought i'd get a head-start on it. from studying it and practicing it today, i've come to the conclusion that the solo is remarkably hard due to both technique and the variation of techniques used in it. an yngwie solo is by far no easy task, but at least i can see his runs coming and they're fairly predictable. this solo is all over the place. i've only worked on the first half so far and i know there are some difficult things i the later half of it, but one thing that particularly annoyed me was a shred run that tied right into 2 beats of a complex tapping sequence, and finished off with a min7 sweep. i dumbed it down a bit to make it only a 3 string sweep (a-la-yngwie) but the sequence is nearly impossible to get in time with the song. maybe he taps the notes with his pick or uses another finger and is more proficient than me with this technique, but i find it balls-to-the-wall annoying to play this.

i'm not really looking for advice, just a fellow guitarist to at least say "yea, F**K the painkiller solo".

Yea that solo rocks :cool: It sounds harmonic minor to me. I think he's playing pinch harmonics all over those scales man. He certainly is doing some harmonic minor sweeping in there too. Anyway, rock on. :cool:
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
04/06/2008 4:07 pm
well yea, i have the guitar pro tabs, so i'm not trying to pick that out by ear man :D
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.