Coo Edit Pro 2

belairhotrod
belairhotrod
03/24/2008 11:03 pm
Anybody Familiar with Cool edit pro 2 ? I'm trying to bring out my vocals without using the Chorus or reverb so much. I'm using a MXL 990 condenser usb mic.
I keep seeing tutorials on You tube but they are all RAP and I'm trying to do some good ol rock. thanks for any help in advance for some tips on using this program.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2008 12:49 pm
Have you applied any compression yet ?

This may bring up the noise floor which you can then sort out using any number of other plugins
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2

03/25/2008 9:41 pm
When you say you're trying to bring your vocal out, do you mean you are recording multiple instruments on one track and trying to bring to vocal out of the mix?
# 3
belairhotrod
belairhotrod
03/26/2008 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonHave you applied any compression yet ?

This may bring up the noise floor which you can then sort out using any number of other plugins

No I am literally brand new at using this program. now are you refering to the dynamic compression area ? and if say i have my mic input about a quarter of the way up my guitar is already recorded and my drum track is in there. so now im doing the vocals and when i put them in they are wayyyyy to loud and if i add chorus or reverb they go way to loud so i brought the input down more but if i add on of the inputs chorus or anything they go way up again?????
I'm gong to the link you put in here and i apologize for not being more specific as i'm trying to learn.
thanks
# 4
belairhotrod
belairhotrod
03/26/2008 2:00 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitWhen you say you're trying to bring your vocal out, do you mean you are recording multiple instruments on one track and trying to bring to vocal out of the mix?

well im trying to bring out my vocls so they dont blow out the instruments and i cant find a happy medium, i have even gone so low that i cant make out the lyrics clearly.
also is there a way to see exactly what i did to one of my vocal tracks? i recorded one set that came out really nice and on day two i couldnt duplicate whatever i did to it, levels and whether i added chorus or reverb or what the hell i did. I 'm new at this so i'm knida lost and i'd love to be able to disect this one take i did.
thank you
# 5

03/26/2008 2:15 am
Normally you'd want to have one intrument per track. This way you can adjust each track individually.

Also, the guitar and vocal share common frequency which means you have to be carefull when mixing them. One very important thing is to pan your tracks so everything is not straight in the middle. You have a panning option on each track. You can pan from full left to full right, this is your stereo field.

Try this, record your guitar track, then your vocal track. Pan one track 50% left and vocal 50% right. You'll hear the difference, everything will be a lot more clear. It's going to be easier to adjust levels. Now mixing techniques is a whole other beast to learn and altho I've been recording for many years now, I'm still learning everyday.

One of the thing that often happened to me in the beginning is that I had some other softtware (winamp for exemple) that would mess with my windows audio settings. So when I would go back to my audio recording session, everything was either way louder or softer than before. Long story short, I now have one computer just for recording :)

A simple easy mixing template is to pan the following

Bass = straight middle
Rhythm guitar 1 = panned 80-90 left
Rhythm guitar 2 = panned 80-90 right
Vocal - straight middle
drums = very complicated, depends on your gear. I use loops so it's already panned correctly.

Like I said, I'm so expert on mixing but I've enjoyed home recording for years. Once you get the levels correctly, take not of every knobs of level you have and write it down :)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.