Saddle Height - Intonation Setup

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/14/2008 10:19 pm
Heyas

So I am restringing my guitar today because the intonation is way out on a couple of the strings, the top-E string is -37Hz out.. anyway.. I've never been able to get the intonation perfect on this guitar because the saddles don't go back and forward enough. Normally I can get it within 10Hz of perfect intonation. I know that the saddle height also plays a part in this... so I am wondering which way to move the saddle height..

Where should I place the saddle position before moving the height? If the tuning is too sharp (and the saddle position can't move enough to accommodate) do I need to move the height up or down?

I'm really getting sick of having intonation problems.. even after taking it to a store and having a "professional" set it up, I still have these problems. So the only solution I can think of is to learn exactly how to intonate it myself.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
strat-man
strat-man
03/15/2008 5:27 pm
Saddle height doesn't really play much of a part in setting intonation, it's mainly to adjust the action, sure, adjusting saddle height on a already correctly intonated guitar will knock it out by a cent or two but if your intonation is that far out that you can't adjust it with the fore and aft movement of the saddles then your problems may lie elsewhere, (bridge, neck relief etc)

What kind of guitar is it? some bridge/saddle designs don't allow for 'perfect' intonation i.e Telecasters with 3 saddle bridges.

If the guitar has always had this problem then it could be a build issue, bridge mounted marginally too far forwards or backwards on the body for example.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/15/2008 7:21 pm
Well I am back within 10Hz again... and I haven't even started moving the saddles yet (I'm waiting for the strings to stretch in first).. so the strings that were that far out must have been damaged through wear and tear..

It's a Stratocaster copy btw
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.