View post (pentatonics again.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2008 2:05 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJeratoday my teacher told me that the diference between a major pentatonic and a minor pentatonic was where you start.

Depending upon exactly what he meant, he is sort of right about "where you start". A better way of thinking about it is that, it depends upon which one of those notes is the root note (the "one" of the scale - in other words, your reference point). This is because you could "start" on the third note of the scale, or the fourth, or fifth, and so on. You don't have to start playing on the one (root note).

Consider, he gave you a group of notes as a pattern on the fretboard. With one exception (the low F), it is the exact same group of notes or pattern. The only way to know if you are playing major or minor is to know which one of those notes you are going to think of as the root note. Once you pick which one is the root note, then and only then will you know if you are thinking of that group of notes or pattern as a major or minor pentatonic.

I did a whole tutorial on how to properly visualize and conceptualize the pentatonic scale:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296

Look at that tutorial and then PM if you have more questions.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory