View post (subtle delays)

View thread

PValenti
PValenti
04/11/2008 4:44 pm
Yeah that all makes sense.

The one thing that I will say about engineers is that some (not all) are overly agressive when it comes to using new techniques or techniques that aren't easily reproduced in a live situation. I always stand like an oak tree on the premise that "If I can't do it live...I don't want it on the recording!".

I've had engineers try to talk me into all sorts of idiotic stuff (well...it seems like that to me with the philosophy I have about being able to reproduce it live). I've had them want to add vocal parts that aren't there...or layer vocals on top of vocals (which they would then add some detuning and pitch correction to, which basically is an overly fancy way of creating chorus or harmonizer effects). I don't mind layering guitar parts (not leads though) as long as it's the same EXACT part over itself. That can be reproduced live fairly easily either through the guitar rack or through the console by smart application of the proper effects.

In case you couldn't tell already...I run sound for my band "RiverGard" and I'm a total tech nut! lol I've also run sound for a lot of the bands that I've been in during my 30 odd years of playing out (been playing guitar since I was 4 years old and been gigging since I was 14...yes...I'm 44! ugh!). I'm the kind of guy that has to know what everything does and all the ways I can use it! lol

I've produced or co-produced every studio recording that I've done with any of my own bands and I played as a studio musician for 10 years. So I've been in a few studios and a heck of a lot of concert halls, clubs, parks, fairs, festivals, you name it!

OK...sorry to hijack the topic yet AGAIN...I'm off to go practice...yeah...that's productive! hehehe :p
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard