Ibanez Universe UV777

Superhuman
Superhuman
03/04/2008 1:19 pm
I just got one of these last week so I'm just going to do a mini review - need about 6 months before I do a full spec write up.
Basically this is the perfect guitar - perfect in every sense, even more perfect than my Jem. For those who don't know, it is a 7 string model that comes equipped with Dimarzio Blaze pickups. Having done a lot of reading up on the guitar and it's pickups I decided to have them Blaze pups swapped out with a set of Evolution 7's - what a great choice! The tone of this guitar is perfect, very tight and very powerful for rhythm while providing the perfect burn for soaring leads. The neck is a 5 piece wizard with the extra wide fretboard to cater for the 7 strings, one great addition is the pyramid pearl inlays. Not just because they look cool but because they make the transition from 6 to 7 strings all the easier. My Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci sig 7 string guitar is not a patch on the Universe IMO. I always found the dot inlays threw me a little but beyond that the feel of the Universe wins hands down.
As far as looks go it is a sexy axe, black with a mirror pick guard (just like my Jem), one tone and one volume knob.
I had a luthier set up the neck and action but made a few further adjustments as per my on specification like raising the pickup height to boost the gain (made a huge difference).
I'm playing this through a Rocktron Prophesy II and it's as if the tone from the unit now sounds as I had always expected it should. It was great through the Jem equipped with Breeds but the Universe takes it up a notch to perfection.
One thing for anyone out there using 7 string guitars - I took the advice from jemsite and loaded it up with light gauge strings. Again, a great decision. The lower gauge actually muddies up the lower B and as a light gauge player it keep things feeling familiar.
And the last feature that seals the deal and makes this the best guitar in my collection, the lower horn has a deep cutaway and a much wider separation from the neck. This is actually the first guitar with this body type that allows full access to the 24th fret for a full 6 string arpeggio. The problem with most guitars at the 24 fret is reaching the lower strings, the wrist tends to come around and hit the horn. No problems here with the UV.
You can tell I sound happy, finally got my mojo back and got myself out of a 3 month rut. Started composing again last night for the first time since before Christmas, looking forward to breaking the new axe in :D
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.