Why Apple?

cocamycola89
cocamycola89
02/29/2008 6:53 pm
I have noticed more and more (mostley recentley) that all these serious recording dudes use an Apple as apposed to a PC.
Why is that?
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/29/2008 7:50 pm
Probably because the Mac is designed with audio/video in mind. Not to mention that Vista is bloatware and my 12 year old Mac G3 outperforms it in both design and speed.
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/29/2008 8:10 pm
Well.... yeh.. what Kevin says is, for the most, true. Apple Mac computers have always been designed for more of the audio, video and graphic design side of things, where as PCs have been for more of the office and business side of things. The gap between the two has slowly closed over the last few years and many people are quite happily using PCs with Windows XP (not Vista, Kevin is correct about Vista) for their recording and editing needs.

If someone came to me and asked which type of computer they should get and the main reason for a new computer was for audio recording and editing, and that there was no financial limit, I would say Apple Mac... Before making any computer purchase, one needs to be clear on what the computer is going to be used for and then buy it based on that.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/29/2008 11:58 pm
The gap has not only narrowed, it's been closed. You can now have the best of both worlds. A top of the line PC with the best hardware running what is arguably the top operating system, OSX.

In the past, the OS is what made a Mac run 'faster' than a Windows PC. Now that Macs are all Intel-based, it's actually silly to pay Apple's ridiculous markups on what is a middle of the road PC from a hardware standpoint. For the money you pay for one of the Mac Pro's, you could get far more computing power buying your own components.

The trick at that point is getting OSX to run on that hardware :D If anyone is curious, check Project OSx86 or Hackintosh.org. The developments in the age old Mac v. PC debate have taken a quite unexpected turn ever since Apple went to Intel. Quite frankly, not much of an argument any longer. In the end it's better for the (enterprising) consumer.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/01/2008 6:36 am
I use a mac because it works. I use it for scientific research and lecturing at work and for music and video at home.

I have used PCs in the past but I just got sick of the level of maintenance required to keep it running.

With a Mac, I turn it on, do my thing and the have some fun.

With a PC I turn it on, have to fix my network connection, sort out my virus software, sort out my add blockers, untangle half a dozen drivers, workout why the computer is crashing every 10 min and by the time I have finished I have forgotten why I turned the computer on in the first place.

Plus, with the intel macs, if I come up against PC specific software that I just have to use I can run XP in a window using parallels.

Plus I find Macs more fun to use and prettier than PCs
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/01/2008 8:52 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonprettier than PCs

Hehe.. go on, be honest.. this is the real reason you like Macs.. you can tell us.. we won't laugh. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/02/2008 9:07 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorProbably because the Mac is designed with audio/video in mind. Not to mention that Vista is bloatware and my 12 year old Mac G3 outperforms it in both design and speed.

Big deal, my old Windows 2000 system outperforms Vista!

fredhe12 has it right. Get the best bang-for-the-buck hardware, and run a tight OS on it. Select the software suites you want to work with, and then tailor your computer choices to suit.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2008 6:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings
fredhe12 has it right. Get the best bang-for-the-buck hardware, and run a tight OS on it. Select the software suites you want to work with, and then tailor your computer choices to suit.

Yeah, I tried that. The Pentium computer I bought last year stopped working and I had to have it repaired 3 times until they finally admitted it couldn't be fixed and gave me a new one.
Now the monitor has blown & it's been in repair for 6 weeks.

No thanks. When it was time for a new computer, I bought a MacPro Core 8 and an Apple Cinema monitor. Top quality stuff that I know is well designed and will still be around years from now.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/02/2008 8:31 pm
~shrug~ Each to their own. I find the Mac system to be a large PITA. To me, it's the Wintel stuff that 'just works'. I suspect either setup will serve well for someone who gets to know it.

I just can't justify Apple prices for the hardware. I have three systems networked at home for the price of a new MacBook.

YMMV.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
polansky
polansky
03/03/2008 3:00 am
As a designer I use mac all the time and get pretty used to them, as a musician I can say the tools that exist to record are pretty user friendly and simple to use and have really powerfull outputs, but to be honest, yeah, macs are really expensive.

I know that some PC component put toghether computer can be really trusty, powerfull and cheap and yes... PC has more apps available than macs wich is kind of a hassel but the really good stuff is available to mac so... i guess is a matter of taste, budget and being used to the sistem.

Some people are MADE to set up computers and some just wanna plug and play, if you are one of the first get a PC if you are the second type get a mac.

As any gear my best advice is test them... go to a MAc store and ask to the Mac genius... they can solve a lot of questions and go to.... wherever they sell PCs and get an expert to solve your doubts.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 10
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
03/03/2008 4:48 pm
6 months ago if you were doing music, I'd have said to go with a PC as I could not stand Apple's audio program Logic and I used Adobe Audition all through college. With the latest update, however, Logic is by far my favorite audio application.
Basically it comes down to what you like. If you like windows and don't mind dealing with anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-whatever software all the time, go with a PC. I personally don't like windows at all and prefer OS X, so I am willing to spend the extra money on Macs. Yes I like the way my powerbook looks more than window-based laptops, but I would never spend the extra money for that. I spent it because I've had two powerbooks in 6 years and have not had a single hardware issue, and the only time they ever froze was a result of a 3rd party program (usually microsoft office). Also because I love Apple's Final Cut Studio for all my video needs.
# 11
cocamycola89
cocamycola89
03/03/2008 7:23 pm
WOW!
Thanks everybody! this has without a dobt has finalized my new computer decision! i am deventley investing in an apple! its really opened my eyes! i am defenetly getting a hold of a mac. But what would u guys say is the best opperating system for media production (and Programms)?
# 12
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
03/03/2008 8:12 pm
Originally Posted by: cocamycola89WOW!
Thanks everybody! this has without a dobt has finalized my new computer decision! i am deventley investing in an apple! its really opened my eyes! i am defenetly getting a hold of a mac. But what would u guys say is the best opperating system for media production (and Programms)?

If you buy an Apple (Mac), you have no choice of operating system - it's OSX all the way. Although, as some have posted, you can run a Windows emulator within OSX.
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2008 10:54 pm
Originally Posted by: fredhe12If you buy an Apple (Mac), you have no choice of operating system - it's OSX all the way. Although, as some have posted, you can run a Windows emulator within OSX.

One thing I found really funny was that if I run Windows Vista from within OSX, it's actually faster than running it on the Pentium.
# 14
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
03/03/2008 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: fredhe12If you buy an Apple (Mac), you have no choice of operating system - it's OSX all the way. Although, as some have posted, you can run a Windows emulator within OSX.[/QUOTE]

That's 100% incorrect. With a Mac you can run OS X, Windows (not an emulation), or Linux. Personally if you're going to primarily use Windows or Linux, a Mac is a huge waste of money IMO. Just build a machine if you're gonna do that.

[QUOTE=cocamycola89]
But what would u guys say is the best opperating system for media production (and Programms)?

It all comes down to what you like. Some people prefer the Adobe Creative Suite, I personally prefer Apple's Final Cut Studio when it comes to video production. The way all of their programs are integrated is brilliant.
Again, for audio I would go with Apple's Logic Express ($199). The full Logic Studio is $499, but you most likely would have no use for all the extra stuff it has over Logic Express if you're just starting out.
# 15
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
03/04/2008 4:55 pm
Originally Posted by: turkeyjerky214That's 100% incorrect. With a Mac you can run OS X, Windows (not an emulation), or Linux. Personally if you're going to primarily use Windows or Linux, a Mac is a huge waste of money IMO. Just build a machine if you're gonna do that.

Thanks for correcting me...technically, you're right, I was oversimplifying for the OP, who seems to be more of a novice in these matters. Your statement about wasting money on a Mac to run anything but OSX is right on the money though.

And as I pointed out earlier, even that is a waste of money in my opinion. With little bit of knowhow you can run OSX on better PC hardware for less money.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.