can you please tell me who i sound like from a styilistic standpoint

nathanael hale
nathanael hale
02/28/2008 10:56 pm
?I am not trying to cop anybody and am focusing on making cohesive and unique musical expressions,but soloing wise i need input just to make sure i;m not trying to rip off anybody(not that i;'m even as good as those guys)and am sounding somewhat original.

http://www.myspace.com/nathanelhaleproject
# 1
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/15/2008 1:41 am
its you playing right? if it is then its original right? dont put your music up if you dont believe in it. and if u dont believe in it do more homework and appreciate ur style more. :)
# 2
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
03/26/2008 3:20 am
Hey Nathanael,

Your playing is really good.

I agree with Lao tzu. Everyone is original. Why do you wish to have a unique musical expression? What is it that you want or desire to express,btw?

Let's say that you are unique, then what are you gonna with that ? :)

I suggest that you read this great article on the topic of being original:
http://www.tomhess.net/articles.php?article=6

More power,
Jose Daniel
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 3
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/26/2008 12:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Jose DanielPlaying is good.

I agree with Fret Spider. Everyone is original.

Jose Daniel

dont recal sayin that in this thread. nut you know wat iagree

:)
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/26/2008 1:57 pm
Always a good idea not to try sounding like anyone else - shred is a tough one to get a unique style in though. You have a unique 'sound' but a unique style is something different - it's generated but subtle use of pinch harmonics, sliding in and out of notes etc rather than groupings of notes and techniques such as legatto, sweeps etc. The playing is very good IMO but it doesnt have a very unique style. Not putting you down at all, I like your music and I think you are a very talented guitarist. I think you also have superb potential for improvement once you develop a playing style of your own. It takes a lot of time and also involves taking your mind off technique and going more for 'feel' - again a difficult thing to do with shred. Think of it this way - put on any cd from a 'great' player such as Vai, Satch, Yngwie, Friedman etc and you can immediatly tell who is playing just from the style alone - that's what you should try to aim for. As it is, you sound like most other highly talented players, excellent technical abilities but not a huge ammount of unique style. I hope this helps, as I said, I think you have huge potential.
# 5
tommaso.zillio
tommaso.zillio
04/01/2008 6:11 pm
Nathanael, I like your style. Don't be concerned if you sound like someone else (or not sound like anyone else). Do your music. Your style and personality will come out anyway - you can't help it :-)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.