View post (High Action)

View thread

fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/25/2008 3:49 pm
I was going to suggest you take it to your local music shop for setup the first time out and it looks like that's what you're going to do.

I'm a noob as well, so I did just that the first time out. However, I think it's important that I learn everything I can about setting up my guitar so I can begin to do it myself.

I've picked up a couple of books that are very thorough in discussing setup. One in particular is very good with great photos and explanations. I just finished adjusting the action my Strat yesterday and it's making a difference right away.

If there's a Borders in your area, I suggest you pick up Guitar: A Complete Guide for the Player. I got it off the clearance rack for $8. It's got a great section on setup for various styles of guitars. The book is huge (coffee table style) and it's got over 300 pages of setup, instruction, sheet music, gear info, etc. and comes with beautiful full-color photos. For $8, it's a steal for any guitar player's library.

Originally Posted by: jsquiersThe guitar is a Jasmine, by Takamine. It is definitely an entry level guitar, but has great reviews everywhere I read (though must people saying you will want to get it "set up" when you first get it). I wasn't sure about a bowed neck, it felt like, to me, the saddle just needs to be sanded down. I'd try doing it myself, but don't want to mess up. I'll probably bring it to the music store today.

Lets just say after a week of playing it, I have calluses on my fingers such that I can tap my fingers pretty hard on the table and feel nothing but a slight tingle.