Guitar Wiring

Ed91
Ed91
02/22/2008 10:24 am
Hey, My friend has a bass which is currently residing in my music room. It looks like it's been abused to hell over the years, but it still plays nicely enough to do its job.

Thing is, when you plug it in, it's noisy as hell! There's your classic buzzing sound which continues when you play the instrument (unlike most buzzing I've come across it gets worse when you touch the strings), and all the tone/volume pots have lost their covers, and touching the metal gives immense feedback if the second tone pot is rolled out.

I wouldn't mind getting this fixed for him, cause it's really bugs me when we play together! Any ideas where/what the problem may be? I've been inside a few guitars and done a bit of soldering, but I have no idea where to start on this one.

Thanks, Ed
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/23/2008 8:22 pm
Maybe you can find the schematics online? I'm no gearhead by any means. Hopefully, someone like Lordathestrings, the resident gear guru will see your post. At the least, be careful with that bass, if I've learned anything from Lord and a couple of instructors here, if you're circuitry isn't properly grounded, YOU CAN GET FRIED.

I think there's an area for full access members to post things for a guitar tech; maybe you can post in there. Good luck and be careful!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.