View post (Old Punk or New Punk?)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
03/27/2008 6:41 am
dude thats just ignorant. No offense. There are plenty of great bands that are truly punk around today.

Like I said you have to actually go out and find them though because they don't get big record deals (if at all) and if they are signed it is by small underground record labels. Check out a lot of the bands that the late great Gold Standard record label signed.

Check out whats going in the LA underground scene and underground noise scenes all over the country. There are plenty of really good punk bands. Like I said previously I don't think people seem to realize that all the great original punk bands were not super stars. They get recognition now as important musicians but most everyone they influenced saw them on stage.

The idea that there is no answer to MTV and corporate bull**** music is completely wrong. There has been an answer ever since there has been MTV. "punk" is not a genre, the genre labeled "punk" is one of the worst in the world as far as being bull**** goes. At least pop musicians don't bull**** you about what they stand for. Most pop rock now falls under the umbrella of "Punk" at least most of the rock I here on the radio. Otherwise it is alternative bs who's lineage is more from Nirvana and other grunge bands of the eighties-nineties. Sort of the same thing has happened to indie rock. "Indie" is definitely not indie anymore. Most of it is complete formulated bull****. There is still some decent stuff out there but a lot of it is just people trying to get rich on the indie sound and indie image.

But as far as punk goes. Again there are plenty of great bands to find.

And as far as the original question goes, I may actually say that I enjoy some of the new punk (the real stuff) more than the old stuff, it is more modern, and I am a modern person (in the sense that I am alive right now) so I think I probably identify with it more. That isn't to say that older punk isn't as good just that I get off a lot more on Die Princess Die than I do Black Flag or the Stooges.