View post (Slipknot Guitar playing styles help)

View thread

J-E-M
J-E-M
03/04/2008 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ZakJenkinsI did some experimentation, and I can see why you like it, but I've found it's not really conducive if you want to mute a full chord, or if you have a quick run you want to mute.
Yeah, true,there are limitations. Muted single notes, fourth and fifth intervals - with dropped tuning - are no problem, as are open strings combined with fretted notes (like an open but dampened E string and the A string fretted at the seventh fret for example). For fast runs I keep it simple and slide my left, skip strings and lift off my middle and ring fingers so I can use them to fret the notes when I want to ring clear, and then rest them back on the strings if I want to - all done quite smoothly. I've used this technique from day one (I didn't know any better at the time) and I'm still honing it, also being aware of its limitations and advantages. I also find it awkward to have my righthand near the bridge, for me it feels comfortable to strike near the neck pickup. Maybe my chosen technique's just crap, I don't know. Perhaps I should learn how to mute the proper way.