View post (Slipknot Guitar playing styles help)

View thread

J-E-M
J-E-M
02/28/2008 7:05 pm
Originally Posted by: ZakJenkinsCan't get that earthy tone muting with the left, unless you're only doing opens.

We're talking about palm mutes...And if your palms on the strings, and you sound good, I wanna get a video to show everyone I know, like that guy who plays guitar with his feet.
I can get those earthy tones using my left, with open and fretted notes.To be clear, my technique is lefthand finger muting as opposed to righthand palm muting - while the first finger is holding down the notes, the second rests on the strings (and my right hand is stroking above the neck pickup);that's my basic technique. That's the way I discovered how to make chugs and it works for me, and it sounds no different than a right hand palm mute. I can even add other elements aswell: chops, harmonics and clear ringing notes with minimal movement in posture ,simultaneously or in succession at the same fret position- very economical. I also use proper lefthand posture, none of that thumb over the top stuff. :D Sometimes I even use my ring finger to do the muting. ;)