View post (Song Structure)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/18/2008 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: dreamstateLets discuss what actually is a song or the parts that make up a song. Not all songs are the same obviously but the simplest structure should have a intro, verse, chorus and a finale. The way I see it, the easiest way is to come up with something catchy as the chorus, work on a verse or two to fit into that and fit in an intro and an ending. I'd really like to hear how others go about it.

thankx.

There's actually no hard rule when it comes to structure. You could just have Verse, Verse, Verse.. no need to even have a chorus. You could just have Verse, Chorus, Verse.. Or Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Verse.. or Verse, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse, Bridge, Pre-Chorus, Instrumental, Chorus, Verse.. whatever you like..

There's no "shoulds" and "should-nots" really.. only what is "common" and "uncommon" to specific styles of music. The Beatles would often just repeat the first verse for their last verse because they didn't have the time to write an entirely new verse for the final verse... Many folk songs are simply Verse, Verse, Verse, Verse etc.. Then you think about Instrumentals and Symphonies... another world of structure there again.

I tend to start writing the Verse first.. and then write a Chorus (sometimes even a pre-Chorus).. and then let the song write itself the rest of the way. However, in other cases I will think of a really catchy title so I will attempt to write the Chorus first and work on the Verses afterwards.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog