Amp advice for beginner - question

fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/14/2008 8:20 pm
Hello all,

I'm looking to get a simple home practice amp to pair up with my Strat. Looking to keep it all simple and budget for the moment. I'll wait to spend when I get better.

Seems to me that there are plenty of budget amps in the $100 or less range. Anyone care to point to a good buy at this low price point??

I found this amp at GC and they've got a big sale this weekend, so I'm thinking of snagging it since it's reasonably priced and has good ratings.

It's the Behringer V-Tone GM108 for $60. Any reason I should stay away? Anything better in this range?

Thanks all.
# 1
spychocyco
spychocyco
02/14/2008 10:23 pm
Never used a Behringer. I've always been partial to Crates. I had a G10XL that I got when I was a kid that just conked out last week after a little over 20 years -- hard playing a lot of those years.

If I were looking for a budget amp, I'd probably go with one of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-FW15R-15W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481055-i1175926.gc or http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-GTD15R-Guitar-Amplifier-with-Reverb-104203849-i1170732.gc. But that's just my preference.

My advice would be to get an idea of the ones you want to look at and go try a few out. I definitely wouldn't buy one without playing it first.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 2
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/14/2008 11:19 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to put both of those on my list to try out along with the one I mentioned while I'm at GC.

Originally Posted by: spychocycoNever used a Behringer. I've always been partial to Crates. I had a G10XL that I got when I was a kid that just conked out last week after a little over 20 years -- hard playing a lot of those years.

If I were looking for a budget amp, I'd probably go with one of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-FW15R-15W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481055-i1175926.gc or http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-GTD15R-Guitar-Amplifier-with-Reverb-104203849-i1170732.gc. But that's just my preference.

My advice would be to get an idea of the ones you want to look at and go try a few out. I definitely wouldn't buy one without playing it first.

# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/15/2008 1:07 am
I seem to remember seeing some nice 10 and 15 watt all-tube amps last time I was at the big music store nearest me. I can't quite remember if they were Fender or Vox.. but they had a very vintage "look" to them and were extraordinarily cheap. I couldn't believe how cheap they were really.. I almost bought one right there and then without even testing it out just because it was so cheap and it was an all-tube amp. Would have been less than $100 US dollars easily. I wish I knew the brand so I could point you to them, as I did have a quick play on one of the 10 watt ones using an Ibanez prestige guitar... it had a very nice sound.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
spychocyco
spychocyco
02/15/2008 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: light487I seem to remember seeing some nice 10 and 15 watt all-tube amps last time I was at the big music store nearest me. I can't quite remember if they were Fender or Vox.

When I was guitar shopping last year, I played quite a few through a 15w Fender that looked kind of retro -- can't remember if it was tube or not. It had a really nice clean sound, but the dirty channel left much to be desired. Of course, you can compensate with pedals.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 5

02/16/2008 6:27 pm
Altho I don't own any Behringer amps, I do own some of their other gear.

To me Behringer is one of the best quality/price company out there. When I was looking for a compressor unit some time ago I couldn't beleive how lower than the rest their unit was. I've been using and abusing the unit and it still delivers.

I can only speak from my experience but Behringer has been very good for the money.
# 6
strat-man
strat-man
02/17/2008 5:36 pm
The Vox Pathfinder series and Orange Crush series are both in your price range, very versatile and tonefull little practice amps.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/19/2008 11:28 am
This response may be too late, as it's the day after the GC sale, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Roland Micro-Cube. Runs on AC or 6 AA batteries, and weighs about 7.5 lbs. Has 7 effects models. I've seen street bands use this amp in subways, and having one myself, it really packs a punch sound-wise. Unless I've read the specs wrong, it's only 2 watts! Has headphone jack, audio out, built in tuner.

I liked the description of an ad I saw: "small enough to run out of your girlfriend's house with when necessary"- something like that.

Bought mine on sale at GC for $99.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 8
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/19/2008 5:59 pm
Thanks all who posted with their advice and suggestions.

I did go to the GC sale yesterday to look for an amp. I was driving by the night before and stopped by just to check; they told me they wouldn't know anything about prices until Monday morning (sure :rolleyes: ) They had a few really good deals on guitars, amps and accessories, but it didn't seem like it was a "can't miss this sale" sort of sale.

Anyhow, I went in armed with the suggestions I received here in the form of a list to check out. The one thing that really stuck was the consistent advice of just having a listen and really going with what sounds the best.

Long story short, I listened to all the budget, sub $100 practice amps to get a feel for what they had there. Not all that are listed on their site where in store. I listened to Crate, Vox, Fender and Peavey practice amps. All sounded about the same, so it was not easy to pick one over the others.

I then plugged into a couple of amps that were above the $100 range I had set. The difference was quite noticeable. Being a newb, I'll just describe it as richer and clearer sound - my untrained ear was able to detect more of the individual notes when hitting a few chords. Simply, it was just more pleasant.

So, I ended up not buying an amp. I'd rather spend the money and get something a little nicer. We're not talking about a lot, may be an additional $150.

I made a deal with myself - get better (I've only been at it for a month or so) and I'll reward myself with a nice amp. :D
# 9
mark2dude
mark2dude
02/20/2008 4:54 am
My choice would have to be a small, used Marshall amp. My band guitarist Will, just picked up an 8'' Marshall amp (used) for 80$ I think small Marshall amps are great for beginners without a lot of money to burn :)
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 4:18 am
Originally Posted by: fredhe12
I made a deal with myself - get better (I've only been at it for a month or so) and I'll reward myself with a nice amp. :D

Smart move, fred. I always say, when in doubt, don't- not that I haven't made plenty of impulse buys- I still don't know what to do with with this Death Metal distortion pedal I bought :eek: So you've moved your budget up to $250? I just got a Peavey Envoy for $215. Only got it yesterday, and, so far, I really like it.

GC is a great testing place for me. I think the salesman there must hate me by now. I go and test equipment, then find it cheaper online, lol.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 11
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 4:27 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitAltho I don't own any Behringer amps, I do own some of their other gear. I can only speak from my experience but Behringer has been very good for the money.

Hi Benoit,

(Apologies to fred for invading his thread) I just got the Behringer Tube overdrive pedal, and really love it. Only cost me about $30 US on ebay brand new. Better than my Ibanez Tube Sreamer, imo. I think Behringer has proven that cheap doesn't necessarily= bad. I've heard that some of their other stuff is iffy at best, but the TO800 overdrive is a sweet pedal for the price.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.