View post (Strats-Mexican vs. US made)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/10/2008 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsShocks are not good!

Some old amps had a feature that became known as the "Death Cap". It was a small capacitor that could be switched to connect one side of the AC line (or the other) to Ground. This was a way to help reduce some of the noise inherent in the old 2-wire systems. If that cap was a bit leaky, it meant that the amp chassis could become 'hot'. Which meant that any instrument that was plugged in coul kill the player if they touched something grounded!

Get one of those little AC circuit testers that looks like a 3-prong plug with lights in it. This can tell you if the outlet is wired properly. I never plug an amp in unless I've checked the line first.

If the outlet is OK, you should get the amp checked out by someone who is competent to deal with it.

P.S: I sleep, but unless my dreams are particularly good, I figure I may be missing out on something! ;)

Hmmm...something primal in me told me shocks weren't good :rolleyes: I play mostly through a micro-cube (2 prong), plugged into a power strip. You think I'd be OK for now if I plugged into my my air-conditioner's outlet until I test the line (I know the AC outlet is fine because my apartment was gut renovated, and I was here when the electrician tested all the outlets)? You think it possible because I didn't have the scratch plate screwed back on that things weren't properly grounded in the guitar, and it's the GUITAR? I haven't had any problems since I replaced everything on the guitar, but in the back of my mind there was still a concern. Did I read you right when you say I may get fried if I touched something grounded? I'd have thought something UNgrounded would be dangerous. Damn, this is my week to have my kids, and if the amp is faulty...Guess I'll have to pull my 35 yr. old Fender Champ out of the cobwebs.

OK- last question, assuming something is faulty- is there a safe way to be plugged in and play? Wear sneakers and keep my feet on the floor? My son will be sorely disappointed if he can't play, as I'm teaching him Iron Man.

Thanks much for your quick reply. There's a RadioShack nearby where I can get a line tester. Heading there now. Really, you don't know how much I appreciate your insight.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)