Hello all - noob here.

fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
01/28/2008 5:50 pm
Hello all,

Just started on this site last week with the full membership and I've made more progress in that short time than ever before.

I've wanted to learn how play guitar for over 20 years, and I've finally committed to actually doing it.

My son who is 8, is going to start lessons this week, so I thought it would be a cool father-son deal to learn at the same time. He's got time for lessons, I don't, so this site is perfect for my schedule.

I'm also looking for my first guitar. I bought my son a Fender Squire and I've been using his for now, but I need my own I think. I'm looking at getting my own Strat, probably something used to start out with. If anyone knows any good websites for used Strats, let me know.

Okay, that's enough about me for now. My fingertips are killing me from all the practice :D and I can't type anymore.

fred
# 1
ren
ren
01/29/2008 11:39 am
Hi Fred... welcome to GT :)

On guitars - it could be worth checking out pawn shops and the like, so you can see and play what you are thinking of buying. I've also purchased a lot through ebay, but you may need to do a little tweaking to get a guitar set up right. If you're comfortable having a try, ebay could work for you.

I started playing when I was 8 as well, so hopefully your son is beginning on the same very rewarding road. Hopefully you can teach each other a few things too. Happy you found this place man - feel free to ask us any questions as you go, and we'll do our best to answer them...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
DavidCDye
DavidCDye
01/29/2008 12:19 pm
Hello!!I,m actually A Vetran Guitar, Banjo player myself. I also am new to this online lesson thing!!WOW!!!This is great I know how you feel. I,m actually learnining thing I would have never learnt.
Well try Guitarcenter.com. they have alot of good deals on some really nice guitars. I just bought A G5120 Gretsch,,my god!!!I,m in Love!!!Really check out there site maybe it will help you. Good luck & keep jamming!!
# 3
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
01/30/2008 1:54 pm
Thanks for the welcome guys!

I did buy a guitar. After losing many auctions on eBay to a last minute bid and striking out at local pawn and guitar shops, I ended posting a guitar wanted ad on Craigslist. Within hours of posting, someone responded with the exact guitar I wanted, at a killer price, and the guy lived two minutes away from me :eek: The Interweb rocks!

Anyway, here's my new baby. It's a 1994 MIM Fender Strat Sunburst color with maple neck. It came with all original parts except for new strings. The knobs have turned a really cool off white, but the pick ups have stayed original white. Being a '94, it's definitely been played, but not abused. It has a beautiful sound and plays great! I was lucky to get such a nice guitar!

# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/30/2008 1:58 pm
Congrats on the purchase. She looks sweet! Welcome to GT. It's a great place. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
01/30/2008 6:26 pm
Thanks Hunter!

Originally Posted by: hunter60Congrats on the purchase. She looks sweet! Welcome to GT. It's a great place. :)

# 6
Lemmywyn
Lemmywyn
02/02/2008 6:08 am
Hello fellow noob :D

I had a strat just like that, but with rosewood fretboard, bought it around 89. Had it set up by a pro guitar builder in Glasgow, Jimmy Moon. What a guitar, played it till I wore the frets away. Never had anything like it since, when you hit a bend and held it I swear it used to sing.

Unfortunately, probably around 94, after a few shandies, in a moment of brilliant clarity and wisdom, i decided to enact a famous Jimi Hendrix lick they don't teach you in the books ! :eek:

Absolutely trashed

Lost the remnants somewhere over the years of house moves

If you get half the fun out of yours as I did mine, you are on a winner mate.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.