switching songs

oib111
oib111
01/22/2008 11:20 pm
Well in band, I wrote a song, been working on it for about a year, and I finally brought it to the band. But now I'm really bored of it. I wanna add stuff to it to make it interesting, but can't figure out what. But I'm getting a lil more interested, but not really, still bored. And theres been this one song that I've been working on that I REALLY like, and I wanna switch to that song. But I don't want to say that, cuz it's like "Hey guys, know I made you work on this song for a while, but lets switch to this totally new one". And I'd be pissed if someone said that to me so, I don't know what to do.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2008 11:34 pm
Don't know if you have the recording gear or not, but what I usually do when I get sick & tired of working on a song is drop in a bunch of random loops from various sources. Like, I'll take the 48 track tune or whatever it is and just go searching around on my hard drives for loops at the same BPM. Then turn everything down to zero and mix and match stuff until something more interesting happens. I did that on a song called "Neon Lies" ages ago. It was going nowhere for over 2 years. One day I just grabbed a random drum loop, dropped it in and it fit in perfectly. Then that loop spurred me on to add some other stuff on top of it.

If you have stuff recorded in MIDI, try substituting different midi instruments for the ones you usually use. Like, I'll drop strings in place of synth or use the midi drum track to trigger a synth.

Don't know what to do if you don't have recording equipment though except maybe just put it to one side for a few months and come back at it with a fresh perspective later on.
# 2
oib111
oib111
01/23/2008 2:54 am
Well. I don't have like recording equpiment, like a full studio. But I have Cakewalk Music Creator 3 on my computer with MIDI and Digital input. Like, I want the guitarist to do something, like riffs, idk. You know you hear a song, and theres empty space between lines of lyrics so you the guitarist just does a riff in the key. I want that. But well, most of my bandmates, are as, well, musically educated as I am. Like they don't really know music theory or scales (maybe they do, prolly not though). So either they get help from someone to right a riff or they just right a song full of chords. So I would have to say, you gotta play blablabla. Which would be annoying. Idk, I could have her take my place while I played the riffs. Any suggestions?
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/23/2008 3:57 am
Kinda tough. You don't need a lot of equipment... just a basic computer with Cakewalk, a small mixer, a mic, a guitar and maybe a couple of effects and you've pretty much got a complete studio. Most decent audio recording software can record at least 24 tracks or more and a lot of them also include things like drum machines and VST synths. Once you've got the recording stuff in place you can start experimenting. If you've got endless tracks to work with, just record 50 different tracks of random stuff over top of your song. Then try splicing different parts together.
If you can, get guitar loop CD's specifically made for this purpose.

I suggest getting into recording cause pretty much every band I've ever been in has written songs that way. Somebody brings in an idea on tape. We fool around with it and record the rehearsal. The writers take a copy of that tape home and use a multitrack to add other stuff to it then everybody gets a copy of the final tape to learn the song from so you don't have to rehearse all the time. Eventually we'd go into a high end studio and refine it even more. Nowadays though, all you need is a computer with Cubase or whatever.

There's all kindsa kewl tricks you can do these days. Like, if you can't figure out a guitar riff for a song you've written, record the song and convert it to MP3. Then use software called 'Amazing Slow-Downer' to bring it down to half speed. Play that and record a solo an octave lower than you normally would into some audio software, then double the speed back up to normal. You might end up sounding like Malmsteen in some places but you end up coming up with all kinds of new ideas when you aren't limited by your playing speed.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.