Wah pedal question

Superhuman
Superhuman
01/16/2008 5:23 pm
I recently got a Dunlop Cry Baby and started using it for the very first time last night. Just a quick question for anyone who has very advanced ability with this piece of gear, do you wah with the left or right foot?
I fret with the left hand and wah with the left foot at the moment as the two seem to sync up inflections a lot easier BUT, I find that I have a lot more control over subtle nuances with the right foot... anyone know what side gives optimum usage as per sides of the brain goes? Wah the same side as the picking hand or the fretting hand?
I'm starting to wah from scratch but I can play guitar pretty well already - so it's not a matter of whats comfortable yet. Both sides feel awkward and completely alien at this early stage :confused:
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/16/2008 5:44 pm
Well.. I dunno.. I use my left foot.. always have, always will.. :) Whether that is "best practise" or not.. I don't know sorry. Whatever feels right and gives you the sound you want, is what I thought mattered. I hardly ever use the wah if I am sitting down.. the action from a bent leg does not seem as good as the action when I am standing. Other than that.. it's just a personal preference I think...
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/16/2008 6:41 pm
I wah with my right foot, because like you, I find it easier to control the little nuances. So I guess that'd be my picking hand side.

HOWEVER, I might not be a very good person to set a standard by...I am a lefty who plays guitar right-handed. I just find the right foot feels more comfortable on the wah.

But there's another thing you should probably keep in mind, too - balance. When I play, I tend to have my legs spread fairly far apart, with my right foot forward. This way my right upper leg is against the guitar's body and pushing it outward a little, which I find makes it easier to fret. So with my right foot already forward, it's just natural that I'd use it for the wah. In order to keep my balance and play the wah with my left foot, my right would have to be somewhere past my effects. :p
# 3
equator
equator
01/16/2008 7:16 pm
Congrats on the purchase of a new piece of gear. Canā€™t wait to hear your music with an additional effect.
I use my right foot just because the expression pedal is located to the right side of my multi effects processor. Iā€™m so used to that, if I try to use my other foot, it feels awkward.

Find what feels right and comfortable to you. There are tutorials on youtube on how to use the wah pedal.

This can give you a basic idea. Click me
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/16/2008 7:40 pm
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll be experimenting with it for this months Assignment track. Still not sure which foot to stick with, will experiment a bit more I guess. Still, I'm sure there is something scientific about it too depending on the sides of the brain... if I find out about it I'll post it back here.
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/16/2008 8:08 pm
Just the for the record.. I am right-handed. I wrote my first reply at 4:30am.. so I was a bit tired.. hehe.. Basically.. yeh, I use my left foot.. I had exactly the same problem that you did when I first got it.. I was like, "Huh? I don't understand.." and I couldn't get it at all. I also have a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby. Like most of these type of things the signal chain I use is from guitar to wah-pedal to amp/computer. Using the wah after another fx pedal, such as distortion doesn't appear to work as well for my purposes.. though it depends on what sound you want..

It's not the same thing as tapping your foot in time with the music, which I would normally do with my right foot.. tapping a foot is generally quite a passive thing unless you are also actively counting the beats.. playing wah is generally a very active thing.. may be that could help in finding the science behind it.. but really.. I think it's more of an art than a science..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
Vairish
Vairish
01/16/2008 11:51 pm
I use my right foot since its the first pedal in my effects chain and if I were to use the left then all my other pedals would more or less be outta reach when using the wah.
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
01/17/2008 12:46 am
im a right foot man. my wah can switch between wah and volume functions.

actually an interstin thought which foot do u tap the beat with if u had to. i use my right to wondered if it was the same with u.

i also find if im sittin dowm my boday kinda faces the direction of my right leg. i like to have the pedal in front of me. therefore i use my right leg. i aslo find my right leg has more controll than my left. i guess thats just being right footed
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/17/2008 1:23 am
Leaning towards the left foot now for sure - especially when I play sitting down. Also, just found an article by Steve Vai where he says he wahs with the left foot too - good enough for me! now it's off to spend a couple of years practicing :o
# 9
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
01/19/2008 6:36 pm
i find i have much better control when im using my dominate foot(right)
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 10
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/20/2008 12:00 am
I'm pretty sure your brain works by your hand being in sync with your opposite foot (left hand right foot.) I always use my right foot, sometimes left just to engage it or if I;m only rocking it slowly. It doesn't matter what other people say/think or what science shows, go with what is most comfortable for you.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 11
ren
ren
01/20/2008 10:49 am
I use my left foot... when I started I found rocking my right foot made my guitar move around... not good at speed... :p

More freedom to move your left foot if you're playing right-handed in my opinion... but I'm no wah genius...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 12
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
01/20/2008 6:12 pm
you know I've never really thought of this before, but I've been trying to wah with my right foot because I'm right-handed even though I'm left-footed. I'll have to try out the left foot today.

while we're on the subject of wah pedals, what's the general consensus on using the wah that's built into a muti-effects board? my boss GT-6 has one, but since I've never really used wah before, I'm not sure if it'd be better to get a dedicated wah pedal and just use the pedal on my boss for volume.
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/21/2008 5:38 am
Always used my right foot. Seems backwards to use the left.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.