used guitars?

oib111
oib111
01/15/2008 5:19 am
Ok I'm getting a new guitar. And I want to get like a Les Paul or an SG or something, cuz I've always wanted one. But you know I can't afford a $1500, $2200 guitar. So I was going to go to like a pawn shop or used guitar shop and buy it. You know cuz its cheaper there. But I couldn't really think of anything that would be bad about a used guitar. I mean technically our guitars are used but they'res nothing wrong about them. And it's not like I'm going to buy a banged up guitar. I just wanted your guys opinion on this, or like why it's bad.
# 1
spychocyco
spychocyco
01/15/2008 5:31 am
As the proud owner of a number of pawn shop guitars, I think you can get a decent beginner guitar, and occasionally a mid-range guitar, but, in my experience, you're probably not going to find a really nice guitar in a pawn shop. The reason is that the person that owns a Les Paul can sell it for a lot more than he can pawn it for. You might have better luck in a specialty used guitar shop, but the price is not likely to be incredibly lower than a new one.

You can get a good used guitar, but you should check it over really well before you take it home. Make sure the frets are in good shape, the neck is straight, all the electronics are in working order, etc. Once you walk out of the shop with it, any problems you have with it are yours.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 2
looneytunes
looneytunes
01/15/2008 5:11 pm
If you are looking for anything used, go to craigslist.com .
You can search your area, so you can see and play it before you buy.
I never bought anything using it, but I did sell my vintage Spotlight.

Check it out!
# 3
Mr_Z
Mr_Z
01/16/2008 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesIf you are looking for anything used, go to craigslist.com .
You can search your area, so you can see and play it before you buy.
I never bought anything using it, but I did sell my vintage Spotlight.

Check it out!

Yup...pretty good place to look. My wife found my Ovation there.

David
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2008 7:43 pm
Used guitars are actually better than new ones as long as they're in good shape. Just check to be sure the neck isn't warped and that all the notes play cleanly without fret buzz.
I usually like used guitars better cause the necks and frets have had a chance to get worn in a little.
# 5
Vairish
Vairish
01/17/2008 11:32 am
If you are looking for a good second hand online retailer you could do worse than checking out Chris Guitars. His website is a bit of a mess and he can be slow to reply to emails but he is an absolute gent to deal with. He is also quite honest about describing the guitars he sells plus his co-worker Martin is a worldclass luthier who will setup any guitar sold on the site to perfection :D
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.