View post (A word on islam)

View thread

Douglas Swims
Douglas Swims
11/20/2001 5:04 am
I am an American. I was born in Missouri. (You know, the "show me" state. Well, five years in Saudi Arabia opened my eyes to a lot. I've seen Filipino men beheaded in Dammam for rape of a Saudi Woman. I've seen women beaten by the Muttawas (religious police) for eating an apple in public; (she lifted her veil slightly). I've seen "devout" Moslems get off their knees from Prayer time, get on a plane and (as soon as we were in the air) scream at the Stewardess demanding she stand by him and pour him booze.

I've had friends arrested and jailed for six months because they had been to a party and had 1-2 homemade beers. Alcohol is illegal in Saudi, but I've been to parties at wealthy Saudi's and the bar was better stocked than most saloons here. Some of the Arabic men, both Saudi and Yemeni accepted me (a Southern Boy from America), we shared experiences and dissapointments and we were friends. Many others however, glared at me in the streets and would curse me (I speak fair Arabic and I understood each curse). Their curses showed more that they hated Americans for our perceived better lives than theirs (Like we all eat lobster constantly and drive Corvettes). Most of the curses were born of religious indifference( But hey, have you ever seen a Southern Baptist evangelist shaking the congregation down while putting fear and self righteousness into them?) ,ignorance and loathing. Even so, when an overzealous,ignorant, loathing man points a gun at me, I don't try to rationalize his religion, situation or politics, I protect myself and my family.

Perhaps someday, through education and economic improvement of the common person in the Arabic world, they will stop allowing themselves to be controlled by popular religious or political lunatics. Til then, there will be no peace.
Swims