rythm over solos

oib111
oib111
01/05/2008 12:52 am
Ok, well I wroet this song. I figured out the melody for the chorus. So I don't really need a rhythm guitar, but I want one. And so the chords for the song is G, A, B butwhen i have my friend play that over it with the write timing and I play the melody, it doesn't really flow. It could be hat he is playing to many of the chords, but can I just change the chords? Like, take the melody, and just use harmonic possibilities to find different chords, or shouldIjustcheck for him playing toomanychords. Sorryforstring thewords. Thespacebar on myfriends copmuter is ****ed up.
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/05/2008 7:52 am
What you need is a book on Music Theory. A good one I thought was very good was "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory". I assume that you would have already signed up for Full Access by now if you had the means because of course that would be better than a book.. but I notice you asking a lot of related questions one after the other.. If you had a little better understand of the basics of Music Theory, you might be able to make all of these connections yourself.

With your current issue.. the chords, the melody, the rhythm, the timing.. they are all your own personal choice.. if it doesn't sound "right" to you then you need to change something. If the rhythm part is the least important to you, then try to find a chord progression and rhythm pattern that makes it just as important as the rest of the pieces. It might be as simple as a I IV V progression but it could be anything. That music theory book teaches all sorts of useful things, including a chart on all the "commonly used" progressions. It also teaches things about chord leading and other junk that you will find useful along the way.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
oib111
oib111
01/06/2008 6:26 pm
Well, I actually know quite a bit of music theory. I sort of know what modes, are but sort of not. SO I'm gonna ask my guitar teacher. But yeah, I figured out the reason after I posted it. Instead of giving him what the chorus really sounded like, I just gave him the chords, and told him to strum each really quickly xD(which I forgot wouldn't work). Plus I didn't have the last part. But instead of just doing the chorus(the real chorus progression), my teacher showed me something I got interested in that sounds quite good. He had me play the melody with tremolo picking and he played the G chord with the 5 as the bass and then went to the 4. Which not only sounds very good, but is also very easy to switch to.
# 3
Drew77
Drew77
01/07/2008 6:18 pm
One thing I think should be said is that you can't write music with theory. Theory is great for helping to dissect music and understand it once it's written, but it won't write music for you. Listen to what your playing and decide why it doesn't sound right because of the way it sounds and then decide what will make it sound the way you want. Just assuming that it is the chords your playing or a problem with the key is not the way to do it because music can sound off for a million reasons.

It seems like when you run into a problem you go straight to the chord progression or key and think it has to be a problem with theory. I think the reason you have to keep coming here and asking these questions is because even though you know theory your trying to rely on it way to much and it simply will not help you write music. You need to just listen to what you wrote and make conscious decisions about how to get the sound you want without going to theory. This may be a little difficult at first and you may feel like you have no idea but if you keep trying it and as your ear gets better you will be a much better musician and song writer for it.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.