View post (the notes don't sound right o.O)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
01/04/2008 11:16 pm
Originally Posted by: oib111Thanks light. But I figured it out, but I will remember that next time I need to figure out my melody. But my next question is how can you tell if a song is in minor or major by ear?

The greatest influence that I can recommend, whether you like them or not (Doesn't Matter), is the Beatles...Hands Down. Regardless of your style in music, grab a handful of Beatles songs to learn from. It will change the way that you hear yourself play music. Many claim that Hendrix may have been the greatest guitarist that ever lived. So be it, He was Great.... I claim that John Lennon may have been the Greatest Musician that ever lived.....He changed the face of music. McCartney's creative talents shined with Lennon, but His solo career lacked the Magic, IMO (still a great songwriter though, with all that experience)....Lennon had songwriting within his soul. His ability to place an Incongruent message within a song at the right moment was brilliant (By adding a Major Chord sequence to a minor progression and enhance from sadness to happiness in just one word of the Lyrics he felt was necessary).
Here are a couple of notable songs from the Beatles that you can start listening and hearing what it is they do best... One thing you can recognize with many of their songs is; If the Lyrics sound somewhat saddened, they most likely are playing in minor....Happy and upbeat, Major.
1. A Day In The Life.........Song starts off minor....then comes an instrumental interlude and the happy part goes Major,,,,,Then the song finishes minor.
2. I Feel Fine..............Major and upbeat....................
Listen to how the Beatles use Vocals to dictate many of the songs characteristics.