Monthly Assignment Question.

equator
equator
01/03/2008 12:11 am
Hi guys.
I just finished programming a track for the monthly assignment, and I would like to know if you like it and if you have any suggestions to improve the mix. Can you hear all the instruments, is any of them too loud or too soft?
Thanks.

I need your feedback right now because I want to get this done tonight. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=equator

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/03/2008 12:19 am
Sounds good to me. If anything, maybe a little bass heavy but it has a nice 'funk' feel to it. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/03/2008 12:25 am
Mix is nice and clear to my ear, better than your previous mixes. Good job, nice and tight - I could hear a nice bluesy loose solo over this one straight away. Hope this one gets chosen, sounds like an easy one for players of all levels. Bass sounds heavy but it should balance out nicely with some lead on top of it - comes down to tweaking the lead tone to suit the mix.
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/03/2008 7:55 am
Yeh it's the kick-drum that is causing the most bass imbalance there I think. Reduce the bass on that and may be add a bit of dynamics to the bass track itself to ease the boredom of the bass track. May be you could start out with just singular bass notes for each bar/measure, then work it up to that faster bass riff you have created. Other than that, I would have added a little rhythm as well.. whether or not the rhythm section is done with a guitar or not is not important.. just needs something to fill out the mid-range a little more.. possibly some strings (viola and cello) even.

EDIT:

Since I already have a backing track of my own that I have been using to practise training my ear to tell the difference between different beats/grooves, I thought I'd share it. The track starts off with a very light and gentle samba beat, and then later on it becomes a more solid feeling rock beat. The chords are very basic and the structure of the piece is very basic also. It's like this:

60bpm 4/4
// E / E / A / A
/ E / E / A / A
/ E / B / A / A //

Yes.. 60.. it's really slow but like I said in another thread on shredding, playing this slow has really helped me develop more speed than I had before. It can be a really enjoyable jamming loop although the quick transition back to the light samba beat is a bit off-putting. The only reason I am even bothering the upload it is so other people can may be use it to practise with... otherwise it is pretty bad.. hehe.. :)

You can find it here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=737179

Hrmmm.. one more edit.. I just listened to the track using SoundClick's player and their player actually plays the song slightly slower than it should be. So.. make sure you download the MP3 instead. I listened to both of them at the same time (i.e. the original mp3 and the uploaded one) and they are quite out of sync. The downloaded one has a much nicer sound to it naturally.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
equator
equator
01/03/2008 3:34 pm
Thanks guys for the comments.
hunter60. Yeah the bass sounds a little to strong, but should sound fine with a lead on top. And should help to keep the beat. :)

Superhuman. Thanks bro for taking the time to reply, You are right it is a matter of balancing the backing and the lead.

Light. I hear what you say but I’m not using Ready to Use Loops, I have to program the patterns myself and it takes hours to do that, I just wanted to do something that we can use this month.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/04/2008 7:11 am
Yeh.. I only just started using loops a week or so ago.. I've had them for months but I could never work out how to use them until now. :) I've just updated my SoundClick page with an example solo over the top of that Jam Backing Track music from before.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.