basic recording tools

andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
01/01/2008 10:36 am
i wanted to start recording some songs but i dont know very much about recording. i was wondering if anyone knew of any basic recording tools i could start out with
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/01/2008 8:04 pm
All the software you need to make an album at home for FREE:
Reaper - professional recording/sequencing/mixing/editing software: http://reaper.fm/download.php
A load of guitar realted vst pug-ins to get the sounds you want: http://guitarfx.info/index_1.html
Enough to get you a ll the effects and tools you need for mixing: http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php
There should be enough there to get started for the first year anyway!

PS Reaper is as good as ProTools, Nuendo and Cubase SX3 - there is no need to buy software for $1000 when you have this package it will just be the same in a different wrapper. Check the Reaper forum and website for tutorials and setup help.
# 2
ronbelluso
ronbelluso
01/02/2008 2:34 am
I just bought a PC recording studio ($199 new, used much less) called the Lexicon Omega Recording studio. I am seriously impressed with the sound quality on this thing! For the money and what you get, you can't go wrong with a solution like that... here is a link to a review with all the specs on this recorder. For my money, this is way more powerful that a stand alone multi track recorder.

Lexicon Reorder Review and Owner Manual
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/02/2008 2:34 pm
Seriously, check out Reaper - it has everthing ProTools has plus everything Cubase/Nuendo has - VST/VSTi/DX/DXi/dpc powered plug-in compatability, 64 bit, ultra low latency engine, can mix up and use multiple file types in any project - (wav (all sample rates), mp3, wmp, midi, etc). unlimited tracks, loads of cool plug-ins (cmopressors, EQ, chorus, reverb etc etc) - installer only 3MB and its VERY easy to use.
This was made by the guys who created Winamp - the forum is very active and the developers actually answer users questions on a daily basis - there are also new updates daily so it can only get better... best of all its free but if you like it you should make the 'donation'.
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/06/2008 3:32 am
Well, I must say that the transition to Reaper was a bit frustrating.. "I just want to record now please!!!". I'm assuming it would have been easier had I not already been used to Tracktion. :) After a couple of days I am now using Reaper as my preferred sequencer. More VSTi's are compatible with it and Tracktion has issues with my new audio interface. I just bought myself a Lexicon Lambda audio interface, and so far it has been great. It's got a lot of room for expansion so I can hook up a microphone, MIDI keyboard, other line-in things and a proper hi-gain instrument jack at the front. It actually reminds me more of my MX-7 4-track than anything else, even though the actual recording and editing is done on the computer of course.

EDIT:

Here's the pictures for the Lambda.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.