Diminished oppurtunities

ravenx495
ravenx495
12/31/2007 2:50 pm
This thread is about ways you can use the seemingly disgusting chord and amazingly simple scale called diminished in many types of music

First, you have to know what the diminished scale is. (If you already know the diminished inside and out, scroll down so you don't waste your time) It is symmetrical, and if you play a diminished chord in one place, then three frets up, and repeat, you will eventually work back up to the same chord one octave up. Here's the cool part: all the chords you played consist of the same notes. If you really want to spend your time to make sure i'm right, be my guest. Here's what I mean in tab.

Voicing: 1 b3 b5 b7
-2-5-8-11-14---
-1-4-7-10-13--
-2-5-8-11-14--
-1-4-7-10-13--
--------------
--------------
They all consist the same notes.

This is what symetrical means. Now, here is the diminished scale. There are two different ways to play it using this basic pattern:

Key of G Half-Whole
--------------------------------3-4-6-7--
--------------------------3-5-6----------
--------------------3-4-6----------------
--------------3-5-6----------------------
--------4-5-7----------------------------
3-4-6-7----------------------------------
For the key of Ab Whole-Half, leave out the first note.

Here's another way it's symetrical: If you play the scale three frets up, it will all be the same notes.

Anyway, now for the real purpose, opportunities for the diminished scale to come into whatever music you like.

We all Jazz and Blues use this chord a lot, so lets explore where else it can be used.

The diminished can be used in classical, giving the baroque sound an extra flavor.

We also have foreign music, such as latin, or perhaps Indian.

And, where I personally use it a lot, thrash and death metal.

Now, I'm sure your asking how can this be possible? Well, if you love that crushing evil sound, workout some power chords that fit in the diminished. Here are some power chords that work great.

------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
2-1-5-4-8-7-------
0-1-3-4-6-7-------
Don't be afraid to use the "devil's interval" (1 b5)
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
2-1-2-4-5----------
0-0-1-3-4----------
and so on

Now: soloing with the diminished scale
It is a true challenge to make this sound good.

Use the scale above to start, and move into the same scale, but three frets up as you solo. Remember, it'll all be the same notes. It also doesn't really matter what is going on in the background. Just put your soul into it, maybe even your heart, and a lot of brain, and it'll work perferctly with practice.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far without getting bored.

-Alex
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.