View post (Merry christmas)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
12/29/2007 7:01 am
Originally Posted by: Tonja_ReneeOk this is from the Old Testament... The Old Testament is followed by the Jews... it prophecises the coming of Christ, and these laws are followed by the Jews... Christianity is the New Testament which is a new covenant with God because the Jews rejected Jesus (the Messiah). Christians do not follow those old laws... the Old Testament is included with the New Testament as a testimony that the two volumes are tied together. So by picking apart the Old Testament you really are picking apart Judaism not Christianity.[/QUOTE]
First of all, I doubt very highly ANY branch of Judaism follows the law I quoted. But since I don't know, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

But don't make the mistake of thinking there isn't wacky stuff in the New Testament.
Originally Posted by: King James Bible, Matthew 21:18-19
Now in the morning as he returned into the city, [Jesus] hungered. And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.[/QUOTE]
So...Jesus was hungry, and a tree he came across wouldn't feed him, so he killed it.

Hmm.

[QUOTE=looneytunes]So, how do you do determine what is right and wrong?

Basically, out of respect for one another. Don't do anything that is going to hurt anyone, whether emotionally or physically. That's really what Jesus is saying, I think, once you get down to it. BE NICE.

I hope I don't sound like a total prick, I'm not trying to. I really don't care what others believe in; I know that for the most part, followers of ANY religion are very sensible people. It's the few wackjobs that take things WAAAAY to literally that put a sour taste for religion in my mouth. Like gay marriage, for example. You have these Christian right-wingers claiming homosexuality is a sin because it's mentioned in passing in the Bible (in the Old Testament, might I add). As a result, they outlaw same-sex couples getting married...despite the fact that "Love thy neighbour" and "Do unto others" and other such (SENSIBLE) messages are hit home CONSTANTLY throughout the course of the Bible. It's outrageous. Ask any Christian preacher how literally the Bible is to be taken...I think most would agree it's just a series of metaphors describing ways we can all get along.

[QUOTE=elklandercc]If someone says Merry Chirstmass and you don't celebrate it and become offended, get a life, or better yet, end it. People like are not wanted in the world and are the reason why theres constant conflicts going on, big and small.

Yes and yes. Isn't that how this whole debate started? :P I don't understand why non-Christians get offended when Christians wish them a Merry Christmas. If a Jew wished me a Happy Hannukah, I would accept it. The focus is on the HAPPY, for frick's sake. They are wishing you well! Chill the f*** out.

Have a good evening, everyone. I am exhausted.