harmonic minor sweeps?

buckethead14
buckethead14
12/14/2007 4:19 am
are sweeeps alot different on a harmonic minor scale than on a natural minor scale and if so are they also harder?
Buckethead
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/14/2007 3:21 pm
Originally Posted by: buckethead14are sweeeps alot different on a harmonic minor scale than on a natural minor scale and if so are they also harder?

Natural minor contains the following:

i - minor chord
ii dim - diminished chord (half dim if you are playing the 7th)
III - major chord
iv - minor chord
v - minor chord
VI - major chord
VII - major chord

Harmonic minor contains the following:

i - minor chord
ii dim - diminished chord (half dim if you are playing the 7th)
III aug - augmented chord
iv - minor chord
V - major chord
VI - major chord
vii dim - diminished chord (full dim if you are playing the 7th)

So, in order to sweep pick all the possible chords when changing from natural minor to harmonic minor, you will only need to add an augmented chord.

Although, outside of jazz (and "outside" rock fusiony players), few people do augmented sweeps. Usually, the III is done as a normal major chord. I personally use augmented sweeping chords almost exclusively as an altered V chord. It works great for that purpose.

I did a tutorial on advanced sweeping:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=211
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
buckethead14
buckethead14
12/15/2007 7:05 am
i understand most of it, thank you very much however i am slightly confused as to what you mean by the roman numerals (as you can see i am an intermediate player with just the basic knowledge of sweeps and the chord cahrting) why do u say chord for eahc of the roman numerals?, is that a note from that chord? could you give me an example in a certain key, that would be graciously aaprecciated, thank you
Buckethead
# 3
ZakJenkins
ZakJenkins
12/15/2007 5:58 pm
In each key, there are 7 different triads you can build off the 7 different notes in the key. The roman numerals refer to which note you're building the triad off of. In a major key, the triads you build are I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim). Uppercase is for a major triad, lowercase is for minor. When you build triads off different scales, you end up with different chord patterns.
# 4
quickfingers
quickfingers
12/25/2007 2:49 am
in a nutshell: the only difference harmonic minor sweeps are going to have is the raised 7th. if you where in Gmin, you would have an F# floating around instead of an F. that's it. one note different. any F notes you would have in your triads based off of Gmin would need an F# to diatonically work for your harmonic minor scale.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.