Earth/Ground Wire - Strat

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
12/10/2007 10:21 am
Hi

So I have this strat with passive single coil pickups and I expect them to be a little buzzier than my active pickups on my other strat. I plugged it in to my USB port like I always do and there is this MASSIVE amount of static/buzz. I figured it was just the passive pickups reacting to the computer's electromagnetic field etc

Then I tried it on my amp and it is doing the same thing. I have tried touching all the metal pieces on the strat and listening to when the buzzing is loudest. As soon as I touch the output jack area of the guitar, the buzz intensifies dramatically. This buzz happens even when on a clean channel on the amp.

I don't know a lot about electronics but it seems to me that the metal plate that the output jack is attached to hasn't been earthed.. but I don't know enough to know what to do to make sure it is that, and then to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
strat-man
strat-man
12/10/2007 9:47 pm
Take a look here >here< this should help you.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/10/2007 9:47 pm
Well mate, it's definetly an earthing ( grounding problem ).
The way to find it is to plug the guitar into the amp - so it's buzzing.
Then touch a piece of wire from the the jack plug body( metal) where it plugs in to the guitar to all the metal components untill the buzzing stops.
The component that stops buzzing when you connect the wire - is not earthed - so earth it.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
PimpJuice
PimpJuice
12/11/2007 6:02 am
the thing about single coil pickups is that they naturaly have some hum, or static-like noise, thats why they have humbuckers, if it hums when you have two pickups on then its a ground problem. it shouldnt hum when you have two pick-ups on
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
12/11/2007 10:31 am
awesome.. I'll try it all out. thanks. That website link is perfect.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.