Chord Changes/Chord Fills

Expatjohn
Full Access
Expatjohn
Full Access
12/08/2007 2:19 pm
[FONT=Arial]Ho, ho, ho...
Have a quick question - and this goes back to basics. I'm kinda embarrassed asking this because I should know it. :p

You go from chord A to chord B, for instance, C to G. There's a technique you can use to put in a couple or three of quick notes which help lend a fullness to the change.

You guys know what I'm talkin' about? Hope I'm making sense here.

For instance, you'll be doing C, C, C, C, C, C, C, transition to G with a couple of quick notes or so, G, G, G, G, G.

More concretely, if I do an A and want to move to E, I can do a quick 4th string open, 4th string 2nd (D and E notes), then E. Also a 4th string/2nd fret and 4th string/4th fret sounds pretty nice.

Such as:[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]
------|------------
--2---|------------
--2---|---------1---
--2---|-0--2----2---
------|---------2--
------|------------

OR

------|------------
--2---|------------
--2---|---------1---
--2---|-2--4----2---
------|---------2--
------|------------
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]or any number of variants thereof.

What are these little movements called anyway? I know them as chord fills, but I picked that up from a friend of a friend. I could be way wrong.

If someone can work their way through what I'm asking and slide me over the basic theory on this (I know it'll work for most changes), I'd be very grateful. :D

Thanks,
John[/FONT]
Hey! Anyone seen my pick? :confused:
# 1
sarinaj
sarinaj
12/08/2007 5:49 pm
I can't think of what to call these except 'fills', but here are a few options that come to mind.

1) Chord notes

2) Scale notes

3) Chromatic notes (well that means pretty much everything!)

Another thing I remember from bass note leading is a full tone above the note you are approaching followed by a 1/2 tone below the note, and then to the note....

Cheers,

SarinaJ :o
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
12/09/2007 2:52 am
(4) extensions. these are kinda like chord tones or chromatics but are different in the way they are played. they can be any note but should go up an interval of at least a third and rest there for a bit. basicaly formin an extended chord like a 9th or 13th. they dont have to e stricktly in the key. at least thats the jazzy argument
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.