View post (Adjusting intonation)

View thread

David Gilmour
David Gilmour
10/31/2001 3:13 pm
Alright guys, I got a little overconfident in my guitar tech abilities, which (outside of my head) are actually non-existent.

What I did is try to adjust the intonation on my friend's bass. The problem was that the open string and the note at the twelfth fret of the same string were way out of tune with each other. So I moved the intonation bit back, until the two notes were closer to each other (BTW, I used a tuner to judge the closeness of the notes to each other). I had moved the bit as far back as possible, and the two notes were acceptably close. But then I tried playing the note at the fifth fret, and it was way off!

So, since my friend rarely ever plays notes way up near the 12th fret, I just adjusted the intonation back to where the open strings were in tune and the fifth frets (fourth fret for the G string) were also in tune.

My question is - what needs to be done to make this bass perfectly in tune? Do I need to adjust the truss rod tension? Another side note is that the bass is tuned a whole step down.

Thanks for your help.
see you on the dark side of the moon